GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Weoley Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Welegh

In the civil parish of Birmingham.
In the historic county of Worcestershire.
Modern Authority of Birmingham.
1974 county of West Midlands.
Medieval County of Worcestershire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SP02158275
Latitude 52.44272° Longitude -1.96978°

Weoley Castle has been described as a certain Fortified Manor House.

There are masonry footings remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Footings and foundations of a fortified manor house. Sandstone with 6 towers and a deep moat. These works date from 1264 when Roger de Somery was licensed to crenellate his manor house. A survey of 1422 gives a detailed plan. Fragments of early C13 wooden buildings have been discovered, indicating early use of both horizontal and vertical weatherboarding. (PastScape–ref. listing report)

Weoley Castle is a fortified, medieval manor-house situated four miles to the southwest of Birmingham city centre in the parish of Northfield within the historic county of Worcestershire. The surviving ruins consist of a stone curtain wall with square towers and the foundations of internal buildings, all surrounded by a wide moat. No trace of a documented outer bailey survives above ground.
In the early medieval period the manor formed a part of the estates of the de Paganel, and de Somery, Barons of Dudley. Excavation has proved that a large timber hall stood on the site in the 12th century with surrounding ditch, bank and palisade. Somewhat later a well- built, ashlar, stone hall was constructed in the north-eastern part of the enclosure with a wooden kitchen to the south. The kitchen is notable for the excellent preservation of its timbers due to waterlogging. It was a weather-boarded structure connected to the stone hall by a raised causeway with timber pentice. The kitchen is probably one of the best preserved, excavated, timber buildings of the period.
In 1264 Roger II de Somery obtained a Licence to Crenellate. This resulted in rebuilding at Dudley Castle under Roger III de Somery and John de Somery and it is probable that the construction of the stone defences at Weoley belongs to this period also. All the earlier buildings within the ditched enclosure were sealed by upcast from the excavation of a new, large moat and the castle defences completely rebuilt in stone. Excavations from before the Second World War and from 1955 to 1962 have effectively uncovered nearly all of the outlines of the stone buildings. The resulting plan can be usefully compared with a survey of the site, dating to 1424, listing the buildings and their function.
Weoley Castle passed from the Barony of Dudley on the death of John de Somery in 1322, when the estates were divided between his two sisters. His sister Joan (and her husband Thomas de Botetourt) retained Weoley as part of her moiety. In the early 15th century the castle passed from the Botetourts, to the Berkeley family, although a series of disputes and a superfluity of claimants meant that this was not a smooth transition. Alterations to the defences in the form of well-constructed turrets, circular and octagonal, and buttresses indicate the continued appreciation of the site as a high-status dwelling – which the finds collection confirms.
The life of the castle as an aristocratic residence came to an end in the early 16th century when the castle was sold to Richard Jervoise, a wealthy London merchant. It remained in the Jervoise family until the 19th century, although during the entire Jervoise tenure it had been sublet to various individuals. Excavations suggest that those buildings remaining were increasingly used as farm out-buildings during this period. (Linnane et al 2011)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1264 March 16 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 19/04/2017 07:22:41

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤