GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Rugh Combe

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Rughcombe; Roughcombe; Ruscombe

In the civil parish of West Tisbury.
In the historic county of Wiltshire.
Modern Authority of Wiltshire.
1974 county of Wiltshire.
Medieval County of Wiltshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: ST927296
Latitude 51.06689° Longitude -2.10436°

Rugh Combe has been described as a certain Fortified Manor House.

There are no visible remains.

Description

Thomas West obtained, in 1327, licence to crenellate his 'mansum' at Rugh Combe, Wiltshire. The West family became the Lords de la Warre.

RUGHCOMBE CASTLE (11 S. vii. 327). This was a crenellated house in the parish of Tisbury, Wiltshire, and all that is known about it will be found in Hoare's ' History of Wiltshire,' vol. v., Dunworth Hundred, p. 130 et seq. Licence to crenellate it was granted by patent 1 Edward III. (Fry)

Roughcombe was presumably a small settlement in the late 13th century when a surname was derived from it, a manor house was called Roughcombe in the early 14th century, and Roughcombe manor apparently included several tenements and a mill in the later 14th century. By the 16th century all those buildings may have been abandoned. The name Roughlawn, in use in 1716 and applied to an area north of Newtown, suggests that the land of Roughcombe may have been divided among the farms north-east of Newtown with 'Lawn' in their names: if so, in the 14th century Roughcombe may have stood beside Oddford brook.
Walter of Roughcombe (fl. 1275–82) and John of Roughcombe (fl. 1317) may have held the land called ROUGHCOMBE which belonged to Sir Thomas West (d. 1343) in 1327. West was then licensed to crenellate his house there. His son Sir Thomas (d. 1386) had a park called Roughcombe which he enlarged between 1376 and 1379 (Cal. Pat. 1374–7, 287). (VCH)

The next grant is to Thomas West, in the first year of Edward III. (1327), to crenellate his house at "Rugh Combe, Wilts," now Ruscombe, a parish in a portion of Wiltshire, isolated in the county of Berks, north-east of Reading. The living of Rugh Combe was formerly a peculiar, under the jurisdiction of the Dean of Salisbury. (Peacock 1889)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1327 June 18 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

Despite the lack of any remains, on the suggestion of the VCH, Gatehouse tentatively place the site of the licenced house at Lawn Farm.
Peacock (1889) is incorrect and the known history of Ruscombe does not support his assertion.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
                 
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤