GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Cassington Manor House

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Kersington

In the civil parish of Cassington.
In the historic county of Oxfordshire.
Modern Authority of Oxfordshire.
1974 county of Oxfordshire.
Medieval County of Oxfordshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SP45581052
Latitude 51.79149° Longitude -1.34052°

Cassington Manor House has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains.

Description

William Montagu obtained licence to crenellate his manor of Cassington in 1317. The house, which stood within a moat south-east of the church, presumably decayed in the later 15th century when the lords of the manor no longer used it as an occasional residence. The site was in 1982 marked by a mound about 20 yards east of the surviving farmhouse, Reynolds Farm, a coursed rubble building of two storeys with attics. The main range, which runs north-south, has a three-room plan with a small projection on the west; it was probably built in the early 17th century. The house was extended to the north-west in the 18th century and to the north-east in the early 20th century, at about which time the roof of the old house was renewed. The cellars probably once extended further south and there may have been a room above them. The pigeon house west of the house may be of the 17th century. The earthworks of three fishponds survive in a field south of the house. The house was retained by Edmund Reynolds when he sold the rest of his Cassington estate in 1700. (VCH)

The site consists of a rectangular moated island about 60 by 40m surrounded by a ditch up to 30m wide. Reynold's Farm stands on the W edge of the area and there is a medieval dovecote on the side of the moat. The E and S arms of the moat still have streams but the W arm has been largely infilled. To the S of the moat is a group of fishponds, the largest of which is 25m wide and up to 2m deep and has been partly been infilled and is now only about 80m long. To the SE of this pond are two small fish tanks or fish-stews each 25m long and 5m wide. (Oxfordshire HER ref. Aston 1974)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1317 Sept 26 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

Willielmus de Monte Acuto (William Montague or Montacute) obtained, in 1317, a licence to crenellate his 'manerium' at Kersington in Oxfordshire. This was, according to Parker, Garsington where a C17 house is constructed on the site of an earlier house. However, in fact, this seems to be Cassington Manor House, of which some slight earthworks remain.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 31/07/2016 00:53:06

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤