GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Camoys Court

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Chiselhampton; Chislehampton; Camoise Court

In the civil parish of Stadhampton.
In the historic county of Oxfordshire.
Modern Authority of Oxfordshire.
1974 county of Oxfordshire.
Medieval County of Oxfordshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SU59219859
Latitude 51.68296° Longitude -1.14495°

Camoys Court has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are major building remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.

Description

Farmhouse, probably originally a fortified house. Early C14 and C17. Coursed squared limestone rubble and some chequer brick; old plain-tile roofs with brick stacks. Double range with garderobe annexe and subsidiary wing. 2 storeys plus attic. Double-gabled front, with lower range extending to left, has irregular fenestration, mostly sashes but with a 3-light ground-floor casement to left, and a leaded cross window with a keyblock flat arch to right at first floor; gables have small leaded casements. The doorway to right of centre has a canopy on Doric columns and there is a second doorway to left of centre. The right return wall has late C19 brick bay windows. The rear of the C14 left range has an arched window at first floor with 2 ogee-headed lights and a tracery light. A 2-storey block attached to the left rear angle of the range was probably a garderobe wing and has 2 narrow windows with internal splays. C18 windows to rear. Double-span roof has a large central ridge stack. Interior: C17 range to right of through passage has a large open fireplace with a timber bressumer. C14 range has, at ground floor, a longitudinal beam carried on a Samson post with solid brackets; first floor has the roll-moulded wall plates and tie beams of the 3-bay wagon roof which is now above a later attic floor. The 2 crown-post trusses have octagonal posts with the remains of moulded capitals and roll-moulded 4-way arched braces. The range was probably the solar of a vanished hall and probably dates from the "licence to crenellate" granted to Sir Richard de Louches in 1318. The property later passed to Sir Thomas Camoys. The site is moated. (Listed Building Report)

Camoise Court Farm is the oldest house in the village. It lies on the Thame 200 yards west by south of Chislehampton Bridge, and incorporates part of a 14th-century house that was once the property of Sir Richard de Louches of Great Milton. He was licensed to crenellate his Chislehampton house in 1318. Later the property passed, as did the Great Milton lands, to the famous Sir Thomas Camoys and so acquired its name. The central block of the present farmhouse is the medieval part, (fn. 40) and there are traces of the medieval moat. The house is built of coursed rubble on a north and south axis with gables at each end; it has a square projection at the southeast angle, which is thought to have been the garderobe; its walls are of medieval thickness. At present there are two stories and attics, but the original house appears to have consisted of a low groundfloor room and a solar above that was open to the roof; a possible hall, west of it, perhaps of timber, has been re-placed. The original wall-plate with roll-mouldings is visible and there is a deeply splayed window of 14th-century date about 8 feet from the ground in the south wall. It is of two trefoiled ogeeheaded lights. A window of the same date and on the same level but in the east wall was recently covered up. The chamfered entrance to what seems to have been a garderobe also remains. The 14th-century gable above the room contains a cradle roof of three bays of which the two king-posts and curved braces with roll-moulding can be seen.
A straight joint on the north front, to the west of the 14th-century opening (two original jambs remain), marks the building of two stories and an attic, probably in the early 17th century, to the west of the central block. It was built of coursed rubble to match the old house, but the west side was rebuilt in brick in about 1880. An early-17th-century brick fireplace was discovered in 1956. In the early 19th century a new entrance to the house was made —a Doric porch with fluted columns under a flat roof. (VCH 1962)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1318 July 26 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤