GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Eslington Tower

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Esselyngton; Eslyngton

In the civil parish of Whittingham.
In the historic county of Northumberland.
Modern Authority of Northumberland.
1974 county of Northumberland.
Medieval County of Northumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NU042122
Latitude 55.40381° Longitude -1.93523°

Eslington Tower has been described as a certain Pele Tower.

There are no visible remains.

Description

In 1334/5 Robert of Eslington had licence to crenellate his house at Eslington. The tower was held by Thomas of Hazelrigg in 1415, and was reported to be suitable for a garrison of 20 men c.1514. In 1587, the tower was stormed by the Scots under Buccleuch after the execution of Mary Queen of Scots. Nothing now remains of the old tower, last mentioned in 1594.
The mansion house of Eslington Park dates mainly from the early Georgian period (post 1714) of which it is a fine example. The medieval home of the Eslingtons and their successors, the Hazelriggs, and Collingwoods, has entirely disappeared, but it is believed to have stood a short distance north of the present house on a slightly higher level in what is now the kitchen garden (Area NU 042122), where wrought stone work is still occasionally dug up. The north wall of this garden and the ha-ha east of it contain a good deal of old ashlar re-used, some of it appearing medieval. There is also, built into the potting shed in the kitchen garden, a simple Tudor doorway, but this was brought from Collingwood House upon its demolition (Dodds 1935).
Described in the survey of 1514 as a tower with a barmkin (Bates 1891).
Lord Ravensworth of Eslington Hall had no definite information regarding the tower, but believed that it stood somewhere north of the present house. His gardener, with 56 years service, has encountered no foundations in the kitchen garden but has found stones in the small fir plantation to the immediate north of the house. In view of the lack of other evidence the tower has been sited to the area occupied by the kitchen garden, and the fir plantation. The stonework in the walls referred to by Dodds appears old and well weathered but there is no evidence to show its origin or date (F1 DAD 04-APR-57). (PastScape)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1335 Feb 20 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 02/02/2017 13:45:43

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤