GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Eshott Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Eshot; Escott; castrum de Eshete; Essetete

In the civil parish of Thirston.
In the historic county of Northumberland.
Modern Authority of Northumberland.
1974 county of Northumberland.
Medieval County of Northumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NZ19999861
Latitude 55.28108° Longitude -1.68637°

Eshott Castle has been described as a certain Fortified Manor House.

There are masonry footings remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.

Description

Eshott Castle fortified house survives well and is a rare survival of this form of medieval settlement in Northumberland. It is well documented and will add to our knowledge and understanding of the wide variety of medieval fortified structures.
The monument includes the remains of a moated fortified house of medieval date, situated at the confluence of Longdike Burn and Eshott Burn. It is visible as a sub-rectangular enclosure measuring approximately 55m east to west by 44m north to south. The enclosure is surrounded by a moat with an approximate width of 6m, which is visible as a slight earthwork on the north and west sides and a well-defined earthwork on its east and south sides. The south side retains the remains of a causewayed entrance. Within the interior of the enclosure there are the remains of low earthworks. On July 22nd 1310 the king granted a licence to Roger Mauduit to crenellate his dwelling house at Eshott. In 1358 the castle was granted to his son and in 1415 the owner was recorded as Sir John Heroun when it was listed as 'Castrum de Eshete'. (Scheduling Report)

Listed in the 1415 Survey as 'CASTRUM de ESHETE' (Not mentioned in the 1541 survey) (Bates 1891).
On July 22nd 1310, the king granted a licence to ROGER MAUDUIT to crenellate his dwelling house at ESHOT. In 1358 there is record of the granting of the Castle to ROGER MAUDUIT the son. In 1415, the owner was Sir JOHN HEROUN, Knight (Hodgson 1904).
The remains of the castle are situated on low lying ground near the confluence of two streams which run to the north and east. The remains are those of a moated site, the ditch being fed by a channel from the west. The enclosed area appears to have been surrounded by a curtain wall and there are traces of what seem to have been three angle towers. No trace remains of any building within the enclosure which appears to have been entered by a causeway across the ditch to the south. To the SE disturbed ground may indicate occupation outside the enclosure (F1 EG 24-JAN-57). (PastScape)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1310 July 22 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 02/02/2017 13:45:43

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤