GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Bagworth Moats

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Baggeworth; Thorneton

In the civil parish of Bagworth and Thornton.
In the historic county of Leicestershire.
Modern Authority of Leicestershire.
1974 county of Leicestershire.
Medieval County of Leicestershire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SK45450866
Latitude 52.67329° Longitude -1.32894°

Bagworth Moats has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.

Description

Moat and fishponds at Bagworth. The moated site measures 250m x 170m overall enclosing a rectangular island 110m x 80m. The south, east and west ditches are on average 20m wide and 3-4m deep and are largely dry. The northern arm widens to 70m at the north-east corner of the island. There are causeways in the north-west corner and the south; the latter considered to be the original entrance. The dry, rectangular fishpond to the west (SK 4534 0862) is 55m long and 45m wide maximum with an extension channel 25m long on the north-west side and a triangular island. The fishpond to the south-east (SK 4566 0828) is dry and irregularly shaped, being 75m x 100m maximum and was fed by a stream from the north which forms the southern boundary; the stream bed here is included in the scheduling. The western side of the fishpond is bounded by a bank 3m high which is broken in several places. Documentary records for the site begin in 1279 when Anthony le Bek held a park in Bagworth with two fishponds. (PastScape–scheduling report)

In the 1980s earthworks of a moated site were surveyed. The house is mentioned in documents dating from the C14th and C15th, owned by Robert de Holand and William Hastings. When the moat was drained a large quantity of deer antlers was found. (Leicestershire and Rutland HER)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1318 July 15 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).
A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1474 April 17.

Comments

Fortified manor house built 1318, on licence issued to Robert Holand rebuilt C15 and early C17 replaced by present house in 1769. William, Lord Hastings obtained a licence to crenellate in 1474. The 1474 licence has been interpreted as referring to two sites (Bagworth and Thornton) and these were two separate, but adjoining, manors. The actual site of the manor house is roughly midway between these two villages and the manors may well have been administered from only this site and the licence meant only this one place. The find of antler suggest the true nature and function of this house.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 15/07/2016 11:14:46

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤