GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Hadleigh Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Hatheleg; Hadleg

In the civil parish of Hadleigh.
In the historic county of Essex.
Modern Authority of Essex.
1974 county of Essex.
Medieval County of Essex.

OS Map Grid Reference: TQ81018605
Latitude 51.54437° Longitude 0.60896°

Hadleigh Castle has been described as a certain Masonry Castle.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Ruins of castle rebuilt by Edward III mid-Late C14 on the site of a castle built by Hubert de Burgh early C13 (licensed 1230). Reigate stone, ragstone some rubble and tiles, much cockle shell in mortar. Built on a spur overlooking the Thames estuary most of the southern features have slipped to a lower level. Only the foundations or bases of the curtain wall remain between the 8 towers, most of which are low in height. The 3 western towers of square plan, the others circular. To the south and east of the north west square and circular high towers are foundations of kitchen buildings, a hall and solar and a C16 lead melting hearth. The Barbican adjoins the 3 storey High Tower to the west. Low level north tower. The north east tower outer walls are of 3 storeys, with plinth and band of panelled stone and knapped flint over, 2 small square headed windows to ground and first floors and part of a similar window to upper storey, part of a flue to inner wall. South east tower of 3 storeys, with only the western face demolished. Plinth. Knapped flint band over. Each floor with 3 square headed variously spaced windows visible externally. Holes for bars visible. Various putlog holes. Within the south west wall is a garderobe, with chutes discharging externally onto the plinth through 3 square headed openings with sloped cills. 2 flues to north. The south side of the bailey has slipped downhill, but remains of the south and south west towers can be identified. Wall bases of former residential buildings lie between these 2 towers. Low level remains of west tower. The castle is of exceptional interest, being the only work of its type in the country. There is documentary evidence of the progress of the work in 1365-6. (Listed building report)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1230 Nov 28 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 05/05/2017 09:21:33

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤