GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Gommerock

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Gomerock; Godmerock; Dertemuth

In the civil parish of Kingswear.
In the historic county of Devonshire.
Modern Authority of Devon.
1974 county of Devon.
Medieval County of Devon.

OS Map Grid Reference: SX88895051
Latitude 50.34300° Longitude -3.56286°

Gommerock has been described as a certain Fortified Manor House.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.

Description

On the opposite side of the river to Dartmouth Castle are the ruins of a late Medieval fortified house now called Gomerock, said to be a corruption of 'God, my rock'. Very little is known of it, but is is referred to as "the old castelle of Kingswear in deeds of 1580 and 1590, presumably to distinguish it from the present Kingswear Castle. It must be the 'other tower' mentioned in grants of 1481 and 1486, and portions of it which are visible suggest a date in the 15th century earlier than 1481. It may originate from Hawley's fortifications of the harbour in the 14th century, or it may have been built to guard the Kingswear end of the chain which was stretched across the harbour mouth in the 15th century. Gomerock may have been the 'lodging' by the entrance to Dartmouth which John Corp was licensed to crenellate in 1402, 'for defence against the King's enemies'. (For alternative suggestion of this, see Paradise Point) and Kingswear Castle. For general description of Dartmouth defences, see SX 85 SE 51 (NMR No 446057)) (O' Neill; Saunders) The substantial but decaying remains of a fortified house called Gomerock. They comprise a five-sided structure, very overgrown, with walls between 1.2 and 1.8m thick and standing to 5m in height. Constructed of rough stone the walls may have been limewashed. The entrance, a gap of 1.2m, is on the SSW side. The door jambs are of dressed sandstone. The interior is completely overgrown. Immediately to the SE is a rectangular building measuring 3.4m by 7m. At its N end is a sunken area. This gives access into a sub-circular recess 3m in diameter, the entrance of which opens into the gable wall at sub-floor level (Field Investigators Comments-RCHME Field Investigation, 04-OCT-1991, WR Wilson-North). (PastScape)

Gomerock 'Building F'. The Blockhouse survives as a rock-cut terrace lying just above the shore. The main axis is northwest to southeast, and by far the most substantial survival is the rock-cut northeast wall. The vertical wall face, which measures 11.2 metres long and stands up to 6 metres above the rock-cut floor, is the only feature at Gomerock which is clearly visible from the west side of the estuary. Cut into it are 3 rows of joist sockets. The upper row contains 10 large sockets, circa 0.25 metres square, 0.15 metres deep and 4.5 metres above ground level. Four sockets have been partially lost due to deterioration of the rock. The middle row comprises 12 large sockets, 0.3 metres square, 0.15 metres deep and 2.2 metres above ground level. The lower row consists of 15 smaller sockets, 0.15 metres square, 0.15 metres deep and only 1.1 metres above ground level. At the top of the wall face a narrow terrace cut circa 1.75 metres into the hillslope. At the base of the wall face, and slightly northwest of centre, lies a pit, 0.92 metres square and 0.42 metres deep. This is cut into the bedrock floor of the building. Internally the building measures circa 10 metres by 5 metres. Two of the other 3 sides of the building, to southwest and southeast, are defined partly by rock-cut faces. The height of the southeast face at its junction with the tall northeast face is 3.5 metres, but it falls rapidly away to only 0.6 metres at the southern corner of the building. The low rock-cut face to the southwest is surmounted by up to 0.5 metres of surviving masonry and contains a central opening, 1.35 metres by 0.7 metres, marking the entrance. The southwest inner door jamb has a mortared rebate for a timber door frame. Further masonry is apparent at the northwest end of this wall beyond the rock-cut face. No evidence survives of a northwest wall except for a small rock projection from the northeast face. The rock-cut floor continues to the edge of the cliff, a drop of c.irca 4.4 metres to the rocky inlet below. There has clearly been erosion on this side of the building since it was erected. Precise date of construction uncertain, although a 1490/91 reference to a 'bulwark begun on the Kingswear side for the defence of the port' is thought more likely to refer to Gomerock than to Kingswear Castle. The Earl of Surrey's report of 1522 seems to confirm that the blockhouse had been built by then. It was clearly constructed for harbour defence, whereas the tower-house had been built as a private residence and served as such down to at least the early 17th century. The blockhouse would appear to have been built to protect the Medieval boom. The main entrance is positioned to provide ready access to the boom chain terminal. The building was rectangular with at least 2, probably 3 floors. The purpose of the pit within the blockhouse is unknown; it could have been associated with a repositioned boom chain terminal. The mortared revetment wall (Structure G) could be earlier than or contemporary with the blockhouse. It may have served as a battery for guns positioned in the open. The fate of the blockhouse is also unclear. It is not specifically referred to in 1644. The 1650 reference to 'the 2 blockhouses' may refer to the Gomerock blockhouse, but this is not conclusive. Bucks' engraving of 1734 shows no evidence of the blockhouse, and the reference in 1717 to 'Goodman's ruins' is referring to Gomerock Castle itself. The blocking of the landing steps implies that at some stage access from the water was no longer desired, possibly during the Royalist occupation of the Civil War. (Devon and Dartmoor HER ref. Watts 1997)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1402 Oct 13 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

On the grounds of the date of existing remains and the relationship with Dartmouth Castle Gatehouse favours this as the dwelling of John Corp licenced in 1402.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 15/11/2016 20:07:37

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤