GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Millom Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Millum

In the civil parish of Millom.
In the historic county of Cumberland.
Modern Authority of Cumbria.
1974 county of Cumbria.
Medieval County of Cumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: SD17128134
Latitude 54.22094° Longitude -3.27255°

Millom Castle has been described as a certain Masonry Castle.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Ruins of castle or moated manor house incorporating present farmhouse. Licence to crenellate 1335, east range later C14, great tower, now farmhouse C16 or C17 with later alterations. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings, house partly roughcast with parallel hipped slate roofs. House has hall to north; east range has central gatehouse, kitchen range to north, solar range to south. Windows with pointed heads. East elevation has projecting gatehouse up C17 steps, front wall collapsed, small projection to south. Straight-headed 1st floor window to south return. South elevation of house has varied windows with label moulds, mostly tall 12-pane sashes, later 2-storey wing to west. Cross-axial stack and return lateral stacks. Entrance to wing. West elevation has pointed entrance and window opening to hall, entrance with overlight and 2 sashed windows to house, gabled out-house to wing which has sashed windows. North elevation has later barns abutting. Solar range has 1st floor with larger windows and ogee-headed entrance, probably to garderobe, to south-west angle; ground floor fireplace has smoke hole to outer hall with finial. Gatehouse has signs of 1st floor, small courtyard to west has jamb of entrance with portcullis groove. Kitchen range has segmental-headed fireplace with smoke hole to outer wall. 2 pointed entrances to hall lwhich has signs of east dais and 2 formerly Y tracery north windows. House north elevation has 2 pointed entrances to vaulted cellars; sashed windows, one with bull's eye pane. East elevation has wide-boarded studded door. Moat to west and north. (Listed Building Report)

Millom Castle was probably founded in the 13th century, but following the licence to crenellate (1335) the main building took place, and probably included the entrance tower and the hall. Circa 1450 further buildings were erected and about 1600 the Great Tower was built. In 1644 the Castle was partially demolished. The present remains consist of the moat (visible on the south and westsides), the tower, hall, and ruined gatehouse. (PastScape ref. Curwen 1913)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1335 Aug 24 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).
It has been incorrectly suggested that a Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1622 March 10.

Comments

Curwen writes a further licence was granted in 1622 but this seems to be an error (Salter, who must have been using this reference, gives this date as 1522 making Curwen's error even more confusing)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 04/05/2017 08:34:31

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤