The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Crondon Park

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;

In the civil parish of Stock.
In the historic county of Essex.
Modern Authority of Essex.
1974 county of Essex.
Medieval County of Essex.

OS Map Grid Reference: TQ690998
Latitude 51.67199° Longitude 0.44335°

Crondon Park has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House, and also as a certain Palace.

There are uncertain remains.


Remains of moat. Formerly Crondon Park was owned by the Bishops of London and had belonged to the See of London since before the Norman conquest. Originally there were stables, a bakehouse, chapel, hall, lodge, gatehouse on the Stock side of the park, 2 fish ponds. The site is visible as a platform above the valley floor. The fish ponds are dry, the dams being eroded by horses.
Until the end of the 19th century Crondon Park was part of Orsett Hamlet, a detached part of Orsett parish. It belonged to the See of London since before the Norman conquest, though part had been granted by Edward the Confessor to Eustace, Count of Boulogne in 1048. "One of the earliest documents is a licence from King John to William, Bishop of London, to enclose a park at Crondon and this is dated 30 November, 1204". In 1209 it is probable that John stayed at the recently erected Manor House at Crondon. There is a reference to a deer leap at Crondon in 1275. The Bishops' Registers show that the Bishops were often here in the early 14th century. Documents in the Petre collection refer to repairs to the roof of the stable in 1344-1345, repairs to the bakehouse in 1362, to payments for glazing windows of the chapel and for tiling roofs of the chapel and hall and in 1395 there were repairs to the beams on the wall "between the lodge and the Lord's Chapel". In 1402 repairs were made to "the gatehouse on the Stock side of the 'park'". In 1556 Crondon Park Manor House was described as a "fayre lodge, timbered and tiled and two fish ponds and the keeper dwelleth in the lodge". In 1546 Henry VIII acquired Crondon Park and granted it to Sir William Petre. From the mid 16th well into the 17th century, disparking of part of the park was carried out, it being leased to farms. In 1768 Morant described it, "Crondon Park was formerly a Park, but for some years has been turned into farms". A note in the Catholic Register records that the chapel was preserved until 1832. The house was then demolished and no traces of the park remained, though a footnote added that some remains of walls were left "and some fine trees are still growing near the modern farm house". Orsett Hamlet was transferred from Orsett to Stock in 1881. <2>
Double moat?, sub circular. Brick, floor tile, roofing tile, stone and pottery. Entrance by dam(?). In pasture, water supply from springs. 2 fish ponds. (Essex HER)

Not marked on OS maps and not in PastScape. Now a golf course so landscape unreadable. Appears to have been a significant residential manor of the Bishop of London, with deer park. Missed by Thompson in his gazetteer of bishops' residences.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
    County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 27/08/2017 07:06:49

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact