GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

High Head Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Highhead; Heyheved; Hehed; Heighheved; Heghaved; Hyghett; Highened; Highed; Highyate; Hegatcastle; Highgate

In the civil parish of Skelton.
In the historic county of Cumberland.
Modern Authority of Cumbria.
1974 county of Cumbria.
Medieval County of Cumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY40274333
Latitude 54.78132° Longitude -2.93007°

High Head Castle has been described as a certain Fortified Manor House.

There are no visible remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.

Description

High Head house was rebuilt 1748 for H Richmond Brougham incorporating C16 work. It is on the site of timber pele extant in 1317 replaced by a stone curtain wall and gatehouse in 1342 when a licence was granted to crenellate. Nothing of C14 castle survives, and there are no earthworks associated with it. A hall was built in 1550 and rebuilt in 1748. Burnt in 1956 and since a ruin. (PastScape)

Highhead Castle was founded about 1326, and a licence to crenellate was granted in 1342. In 1550 a Hall, 52' x 26', was built on the west side. From 1744 to 1748 the Castle was demolished and rebuilt, and in 1800 further restorations took place (Curwen).
Nothing of the 14th century castle survives, and there are no earthworks associated with it. Part of the Hall is incorporated into the west side of the main 18th century range, the whole of which is derelict. The gate is modern (F1 RE 03-NOV-70).
High Head Castle - building now completely derelict - the roof has fallen in but the walls still stand to roof level however the building is in a dangerous state of repair. (PastScape)

Country house in ruins, built on the site of a medieval castle. 1744-7, probably by James Gibbs for the Brougham family, partly destroyed by fire 1956. Red sandstone ashlar with string course, eaves modillions, open balustraded parapet and V-jointed quoins. Roofless but with banded ashlar sandstone chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 11 bays. Projecting pedimented 3-bay centre, with carved ornament in pediment, has central door in alternate-block surround with entablature and pediment. Stone window architraves. Return and rear walls are partly in ruins. Interior completely gutted. (Listed Building Report)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1342 Oct 6 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

The form of the C14 licenced house is not known but was contained within a curtain wall with a gatehouse.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 15/11/2016 19:50:04

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤