GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Crenellated Towers in Kingston upon Hull

In the civil parish of Kingston upon Hull.
In the historic county of Yorkshire.
Modern Authority of Kingston upon Hull; City of.
1974 county of Humberside.
Medieval County of Yorkshire East Riding.

OS Map Grid Reference: TA100288
Latitude 53.74141° Longitude -0.33351°

Crenellated Towers in Kingston upon Hull has been described as a probable Fortified Town House.

There are no visible remains.

Description

Hull was granted a licence to crenellate the town wall in 1321. Six years later, in the first year of Edward III's reign this licence is confirmed and an additional licence given to the burgesses to crenellate their houses with stone and tegula (translated variously as tile or brick). No specific person or house is identified.

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1327 March 5 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

In the Cotton collection of manuscripts in the British Museum is a birds eye plan of Hull, sometimes said to be a C14 date although more probably of c. 1530 (It may have been based on an earlier plan as it does have some anachronistic features.). As with all such plans interpretation can be difficult but there seems to be several crenellated houses, at least three with towers. One of these is the house known variously as the Duke of Suffolks Palace or Courthall Other Hull merchants may well have felt a particular need to compete socially with such a prestigious person as Courthall builder Micheal de la Pole. Henry VIII antiquarian John Leland, writing in the 1530's, mentions three other houses with 'towers of brike built by Michael de la Pole in Hull, '2. of them be in the hart of the toun. The 3. is apon Hulle ripe in the haven side'. He also records the town hall as having a brick tower for a prison. Given Leland's political purpose we have to question these towers representing all that survived in Leland's time or just those buildings that Leland felt were importance enough to report? The VCH identifies a number of possible towers from names in the Hull City records; Whitehouse Tower, midway along Market Place; Stonehouse Tower on the Foreland; Harper Tower, Ingilby Tower and Burdux Tower (Sometimes 'Burdour', 'Burdeux'; perhaps from Bordeaux and having some connexion with the wine trade. The de la Pole's were known to have imported Gascon wine). Several other domestic houses known from the record may also have had some crenellated features. At least eleven crenellated structures can be identified on the Hull town plan, other than churches and the town walls, of which one will be the town hall prison. Most of these towers and houses will have been built of brick, which was ubiquitous in Hull, although presumably not Stonehouse tower.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
                 
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤