GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Vastern Manor

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Vasterne; Fasterne; Fetstern; The Gatehouse

In the civil parish of Wootton Bassett.
In the historic county of Wiltshire.
Modern Authority of Wiltshire.
1974 county of Wiltshire.
Medieval County of Wiltshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SU04948150
Latitude 51.53167° Longitude -1.93002°

Vastern Manor has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House, and also as a probable Palace.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.

Description

Site of 13th century manor house and its associated chapel, prison and conduit house. Two fishponds survive as earthworks. Fragments of the probable gatehouse for the manor survive in the post-medieval listed building of Vastern Manor House (Listed Building number 316852). (PastScape)

A great house at Vastern is first heard of in 1233 when, because of Gilbert Basset's part in the rebellion against him, Henry III ordered it to be demolished. The house, as its name implies (In 1573 the manorhouse was evidently represented by a house known as the Gatehouse, which may have evolved from the great gate of the manor mentioned in 1369), was almost certainly fortified. Consideration of the site indeed confirms this supposition, for the house stood aloft on the limestone ridge in an excellent defensive position, with the land falling away not only to the north and south, but also to the east where the ridge dips suddenly before climbing again to the town of Wootton Bassett. How far the demolition ordered in 1233 was carried out is not known for in the following year Gilbert Basset was restored to favour. But the Constable of St. Briavels (Glos.) was ordered to send 10 workmen to undertake the task and the Sheriff of Wiltshire was commanded to pay and provide them with the necessary tools. If demolished, Vastern was quickly rebuilt and became and always remained the manor-house of the combined estate which came to be called the manor of Wootton. By 1355, when the manor had been restored to Queen Isabel, the manorial buildings at Vastern were in disrepair and carpenters, masons, sawyers, and other workmen were dispatched there. More repairs were necessary in the 1360s when the manor formed part of the lands of Queen Philippa. Between 1369 and 1376, when Vastern was leased to William Wroughton, the king retained responsibility for the upkeep of all buildings within the great gate of the manor, special mention being made of the great grange there. A series of account rolls covering this period suggests a considerable conglomeration of buildings, requiring fairly constant maintenance. Roofs in particular needed the attention of many tilers and women were employed to collect moss to line them. Two high towers were covered with lead. A fireplace (caminus) in the great hall was repaired. Drains and a water tank were made. There were rooms, with a garderobe, above and next to the gate of the manor. Various other garderobes were repaired. Rooms named within the manorhouse were the 'Shyngledechamber' and 'Haloneschamber'. A great oven (furnus) is mentioned, as well as a kitchen, bakehouse, brewhouse, and malthouse. An account roll of 1449–50, when the manor had passed to Richard, Duke of York, mentions at Vastern a cellar, a little kitchen, and a porter's chamber. (VCH)
Comments

Although, at various times, in direct royal ownership (leading to the survival of building accounts) does not seem to have been much used as a royal residence and then mainly as part of the Queen's dower land.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤