GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Upavon

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Uphavene, Uphaven

In the civil parish of Oaksey.
In the historic county of Wiltshire.
Modern Authority of Wiltshire.
1974 county of Wiltshire.
Medieval County of Wiltshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SU135550
Latitude 51.29429° Longitude -1.80717°

Upavon has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are no visible remains.

Description

Humphrey de Bohun was granted a licence to crenellate his 'masum manerii' at Uphavene, Wilts in 1347.

The early Middle Ages was a period of expansion and prosperity for the village, possibly because its extensive areas of arable and pasture land supported a larger population than surrounding villages and made its church and manor rich. In the 12th century a start was made on an unusually substantial church and a Norman abbey established a priory between the church and the Avon. After 1204, when the manor passed to one of King John's barons, work apparently began on a manor-house. Its site is unknown but was presumably near the demesne farm. If that was so, in the early 13th century the principal buildings were grouped in the south of the village with the priory, priory farm, church, demesne farm, and manor-house all fronting the river, and with tenantry farms along the roads to the north and west.
After Ela's death the manor passed to the elder Hugh Despenser, Philip Basset's grandson by his first wife, who was granted free warren in his demesne lands in Upavon in 1300. It was in the king's hand during the Despensers' banishment in 1321 but was later restored. After the Despensers were finally overthrown in 1326 it was granted, in 1327, to Queen Isabel, Edward III's mother. She surrendered it on her downfall in 1330. In 1331 it was granted to Edward de Bohun who in 1332 settled it on himself and his wife Margaret. Margaret held it after Edward's death in 1334 until her own death in 1341. Although in 1337 the reversion of Upavon manor was included in a restoration of lands to Hugh Despenser (d. 1349), by virtue of the settlement of 1332 the manor passed in 1341 to Edward's brother Humphrey (d. 1361), earl of Hereford and Essex, to whom all right of reversion was granted in 1347. Humphrey was succeeded by his nephew Humphrey who died in 1373 leaving as heirs his daughters Eleanor and Mary, both minors. Custody was granted to Thomas of Woodstock (d. 1397) but in 1384 Upavon was among the manors allotted to Mary (d. 1394) and her husband Henry of Lancaster. When Henry became king in 1399 the manor was merged with the duchy of Lancaster in the Crown. (VCH)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1347 Dec 22 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

It can be seen that there was some level of contention over the ownership of the manor. There were some incidents of people resorting to force to resolve such contended manors so the licence to crenellate may represent an intent to strengthen the physical building to secure it from attack but the licence, and the royal confirmation and blessing of ownership it conveyed, may have had more value of symbolic representation of de Bohun's ownership and of his close relationship with the king.
The given map reference is for the parish church. The site of the manor house is lost but may have lay on the southern side of the A342 just south from the church.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
                 
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤