GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Potterne manor of the bishop of Salisbury

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Poterne; Courthill; Great Orchard

In the civil parish of Potterne.
In the historic county of Wiltshire.
Modern Authority of Wiltshire.
1974 county of Wiltshire.
Medieval County of Wiltshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: ST99325845
Latitude 51.32527° Longitude -2.01118°

Potterne manor of the bishop of Salisbury has been described as a certain Palace, and also as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are no visible remains.

Description

Probable site of the Bishops' of Salisbury Manor House at Potterne which is known from documents to have been occupied in 1297, was uncovered during an exploratory excavation which revealed the much robbed foundation of possibly the chapel or barn mentioned in medieval documents see illustration. The impression given is of the debris of a collapsed stone-tiled roof and trench for large cut-stone foundations. Possible flooring in the form of a 2ins thick layer of chalk overlay the uncovered area. Two probable post and holes could have been for supports of a lean-to extension.
Finds were not stratified in the much disturbed ground but included encaustic floor-tile fragments, roof-tile (some possibly 13th/14th century), nails, door studs, ox shoe and animal bones. Domestic pottery was dated 13th/14th century and 16th/18th century. No indication of building on air photographs. (PastScape)

The bishops of Salisbury also had a deer park on their manor at Potterne. This lay to the south east of the village, around the modern Potterne Park Farm. The moat at SU 0102 5742, just north east of the farm, was probably formerly occupied by the park keeper's lodge. (Payne 2003)

A 17th-century survey provides an indication of the size and scale of the old episcopal manor house, which must also reflect its general character during the late medieval period. This description (see McGlashan and Sandell 1974, 89), dated 1649, states that the manor house was:
built with free stone thoroughly tiled containing seven rooms belowe the stairs, i.e. one hall and kitchen, one parlour, one larder, one milke house and pantry house and one cellar, and seven rooms above ye stairs i.e. one faire chamber over the hall, another faire chamber over the parlour and over the kitchens and other chambers with it and two chambers more in the new buildings.
There was also:
a large house or building well walled and well covered with stone for the most part of it . . . which contayneth in breadth about 25 foote and in length about 80 foote which is called ye chappell now fitte for a barne. And one faire barn containing 8 baies or rooms of building built with free stone with timbers covered with tyle. Wanting some reparation in the coverings. And one orchard well stored with fruit trees containing by estimation one acre . . . the backside and yards about the same house containing about 2 acres. (Payne 2002)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1337 Aug 30 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).
A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1377 July 20.

Comments

Geophysical survey, by N. Payne, in 2001 located the manor in a field known as Great Orchard next to Courthill House.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤