GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Langton Herring manor

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Langeton Heryng

In the civil parish of Langton Herring.
In the historic county of Dorset.
Modern Authority of Dorset.
1974 county of Dorset.
Medieval County of Dorset.

OS Map Grid Reference: SY614824
Latitude 50.64001° Longitude -2.54722°

Langton Herring manor has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains.

Description

Licence to crenellate granted to Walterus Heryng de Wynterbourn, in 1336, from his 'mansum' at Langeton Heryng.

The manor is probably one of the two "Langetone" manors described in Domesday, when it was crown property. It came to the Sarmunville's and in Henry III's time the family of Harang had an interest here. It is certain that the Harang's eventually became possessed of the manor, and Raymond Harang was lord of the manor in 1314 and 1320. 10ED. III Sir Walter obtained (licence) to fortify his mansions at Langton and Winterborne. After 18 Rich. II the manor passed to other families, the Feliozs of Woodlands in the 15th century and the Willoughbys of Warwick in the 16th century and later became the property of the Duke of Cornwall. Near the church is an area called Kirk or Court Close. The unevenness of the ground indicates former buildings. Quite recently a playground for the school was made about here, and in removing the soil various sized stones about 3ft long, one of which was squared, were found. This area may be the site of the mansion house. There are also traces of fishponds (Sparks).
The field immediately south of the school is known as Court Close. Much stone rubble lies beneath the surface of the gardens which now occupy the north east and east sides of the field. The field is grass covered, but along the east side houses have recently been erected, and in some cases high dry stone walls have been built about them from the rubble turned up in the gardens. Inside the south wall of the field, and parallel to it, is a bivallate grass trackway 5.0m wide with its banks averaging 0.5m high. This trackway fades at the west end. The field is divided by small north to south banks forming enclosures, and on the east side there two banked platforms. No fishponds are visible. The area is one of apparent depopulation, presumably of Medieval origin, but only from the name of the field, the close proximity of the church and the large stones found in the last century can it be deduced that a manor house may have occupied the north east of the field (Field Investigators Comments-F1 NVQ 19-APR-55).
In the field centred at SY 614824 there remains only a few vague and unsurveyable scarps. The owner of the field and former farmer in the general area remembers its former condition, but he ploughed it a number of times and altered its northern boundary. He is aware of its significance, but felt the Manor House proper must have been in the vicinity of the Old Schoolhouse, ie on the lower (N) side of the field. Apart from much stone, no finds of any import have been made (F2 JGB 24-APR-80). (PastScape)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1336 Sept 26 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

Clearly Herring (aka Harang), a local knight, had a house here probably with fish ponds and other high status features such as crenellations but probably not much in the way of fortifications. The house doesn't seem to have been moated but it did have some stone built parts. The manor probably dated back to pre-Conquest times. The site is now built upon.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤