GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Evesham Abbey

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Eovesham

In the civil parish of Evesham.
In the historic county of Worcestershire.
Modern Authority of Worcestershire.
1974 county of Hereford and Worcester.
Medieval County of Worcestershire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SP03744363
Latitude 52.09115° Longitude -1.94879°

Evesham Abbey has been described as a certain Fortified Ecclesiastical site.

There are masonry footings remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.

Description

The early history of the abbey is involved and uncertain. From its foundation in 701 AD it alternated from a monastic to a collegiate foundation, finally becoming monastic in 989 and lasting until its dissolution in 1539. It seems clear that the Abbey church and its surrounding buildings were destroyed within a few years of the Dissolution. The only parts of the church now to be seen in position are a piece of the west wall of the north transept and the bases of several piers adjacent to it. A number of abbey outbuildings survive, including Abbot Reginalds gateway, (Norman), C16 Belltower, C14 stables, C15 almonry, late C13 chapter-house and C14 gateway. The only remains of the church are a fragment of C12-C13 North transept. (PastScape)

Nos 53 and 54 incorporating Remains of Abbey Gate (Abbey Gate House). Grade I. 1711. Fine L-shaped house which incorporates the remains of the early C14 Abbey Gate, or Great Gate, built by Abbot Chyryton. House of stone and rubble; 2 storeys; 5 sash windows; 2 later C18 doorways with fanlights, 3/4 fluted Doric columns and cornices; wood modillion eaves cornice; hipped tile roof. Good moulded lead rainwater head on east side (of No 54), which is largely of medieval origin and has numerous blocked openings including large semi-circular arches, that at rear of No 53 being part of Abbey Gate and incorporating one original jamb. Interior: No 54 largely altered, but No 53 has late C17 staircase and panelling. Bay on right-hand side projecting towards Merstow Green has a modern upper storey built above the gateway passage with an archway on north return side. To south of this bay, adjoining the Abbey Stables (qv) is the remains of a vaulted passage of early C14. (PastScape)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1332 May 26 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).
A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1336 March 15.

Comments

Granted licence to crenellate, in 1332 and 1336. The licence of 1332 was for a house beyond the gate of the abbey; the licence of 1336 was for a chapel and other houses adjacent to this house and for the abbey itself. A 'heritage audit' in 2003 suggested that the C18 house called' Abbey Gate' does incorporate the remains of the C14 abbey gatehouse and this is the right date to be the buildings associated with the 1322 licence.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 16/11/2016 08:39:51

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤