GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Battersea Manor of Bishop of Durham

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Bridgecourt; York House; York Place

In the civil parish of Battersea.
In the historic county of Surrey.
Modern Authority of London Borough of Wandsworth.
1974 county of Greater London.
Medieval County of Surrey.

OS Map Grid Reference: TQ26567586
Latitude 51.46757° Longitude -0.17936°

Battersea Manor of Bishop of Durham has been described as a certain Palace, and also as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are no visible remains.

Description

Licence granted to Bishop of Durham for to build house with towers and impark at Bridgecourt in Battersea in 1474. Subsequently bequeathed by archbishop Booth to the see of York and renamed York House. Excavated 1996-8.

The southern side of the Archbishop of York's Battersea Palace was recorded during an excavation by Pre-Construct Archaeology at the site of Prices Patent Candle Factory, Wandsworth, in 2002. The palace was constructed in 1474 and it survived with various alterations until the late 18th century. Structures found include: the moat; five rooms, of which two were basements or part basements; two courtyards; and the south west corner tower. Evidence of garderobes, drainage, windows, arched recesses and doorways were also recorded. Heavy modification began in late 16th and 17th century, when it became, for a while, a prison for papists. The infilling and building over of the moat and the construction of a number of new rooms during this period were observed, some of which were infilling the earlier courtyards. (Greater London HER)

During the 1450S the property was part of the estate of Lord Stanley, which he conveyed to trustees, perhaps in order to avoid confiscation. In 1460 these trustees transferred the property to Lawrence Booth, Bishop of Durham, and in 1461 the grant was confirmed by Lord Stanley. Despite this the Manor of Bridgecourt was seized by King Edward IV in 1471 because John Stanley had assigned these lands and tenements in trust to the Abbot of Westminster, in contravention of the statute of Mortmain, which forbade the unlicensed transfer of land to ecclesiastical bodies. Bishop Booth found it necessary to apply to the King, and having paid £700, the Manor of Bridgecourt and other lands forfeited by Stanley were granted to him on the 10th July 1471. Booth appears to have built the first house on the site shortly afrerwards. In 1474, Booth received the King's licence to enclose his newly built Mansion House at Battersea called Bridgecourt. Bishop Booth was translated to the See of York in 1476, and remained Archbishop until his death in 1480. He bequeathed his estate in Battersea to the See of York for the maintenance of chantries he had founded, on condition that a lodging in the Mansion House should be reserved for the Archbishop whenever needed, It appears to have been customary for the successive Archbishops to lease out the Mansion House. The Dean and Chapter of York received the rents and profits during vacancies of the See. (Hawkins, 2000)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1474 May 28 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 15/07/2016 10:55:45

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤