GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Exeter Bishops Palace and Cathedral Close

In the civil parish of Exeter.
In the historic county of Devonshire.
Modern Authority of Devon.
1974 county of Devon.
Medieval County of Devon.

OS Map Grid Reference: SX92159250
Latitude 50.72209° Longitude -3.52922°

Exeter Bishops Palace and Cathedral Close has been described as a certain Palace, and also as a probable Fortified Ecclesiastical site.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.

Description

The Bishop's Palace at Exeter (while originating presumably with the Norman cathedral in C12) is mostly of 1848, by E Christian. The only medieval parts showing are the masonry of the hall, north and east walls and screen, the Chapel of St. Faith (in the north east side of the part of the palace nearer to the cathedral; alternatively and less accurately given as dedicated to St. Mary (Rose-Troup)) which was dedicated between 1224 and 1244, the early C13 entrance arch in the south east tower, the C15 Tower porch and the tower itself, and a re-used oriel window of 1500. The unique entry passage directly into the cathedral was originally early C16. (PastScape)

The Bishop's Palace. Retains some C13 work, the main block having originally been the Great Hall. Lower part of Entrance tower and fine internal arch of this date. C13 Chapel, restored by William Butterfield. Famous "Courtenay" mantelpiece (position moved) late C15. Many later demolitions and alterations, including virtual rebuilding in 1846-8, by Ewan Christian. Heavitree stone. Three storeys. Mullioned windows. Slate roof. Early C16 oriel window brought from demolished house in city. (Listed Building Report)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1290 Oct 30 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).
A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1322 June 23.

Comments

Licences to crenellate granted to Bishop Peter Quinel in 1290 and Bishop Walter Stapledon in 1322. Some slight remains of the cathedral close and palace buildings survive in later buildings.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤