GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Worcester Bishops Palace

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
The Deanery

In the civil parish of Worcester.
In the historic county of Worcestershire.
Modern Authority of Worcestershire.
1974 county of Hereford and Worcester.
Medieval County of Worcestershire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SO84915462
Latitude 52.18962° Longitude -2.22214°

Worcester Bishops Palace has been described as a certain Palace.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Formerly the Episcopal Palace, now Diocesan offices. Origins c1200-35, additions c1268-1302 for Bishop Godfrey Gifford (including the Abbot's Kitchen and Abbot's Hall); additions and alterations (including substantial alterations and truncation of the Chapel) c1560s for Dr Edwin Sandys re-using earlier materials; further embellishments for Bishop Skinner (particularly to Chapel) c1663-70; additions and alterations to east facade probably c1719-23 for Bishop John Hough by architects William and Francis Smith of Tettenhall, Staffordshire; extensive repairs for Dr James Johnson including some rebuilding to west facade c1759-74; further alterations including addition of bay window to drawing room for Bishop Richard Hurd c1781-7. Red sandstone ashlar to front facade with white sandstone ashlar dressings (including pilasters, architraves, floor bands, cornice, and copings; pinkish-brown brick stacks with ashlar cornices, and pots, plain tile roof. PLAN: complex with irregular additions and irregular floor levels. The Palace is situated on a slope, so that the rear (west) facade has an additional lower storey, which includes at north west the medieval Abbot's kitchen, above which (to first floor) is the Great Hall. To the south of the former hall porch is the Chapel which formerly ran the length of the hall but was truncated so that the chancel only survives, its liturgical axis was altered in the process (for Dr Sandys), the main window, now to south, overlooks a small courtyard. There is a further courtyard to the north of the hall. The east facade (now the main facade) was regularized with an addition 1-room deep including central hallway. EXTERIOR: Main (east) facade: 2 storeys (with further, lower storey and attics to rear), 4:3:4 first-floor windows. Central breakforward with end pilasters and wide, segmental pediment containing arms of Bishop Hough; cavetto-moulded cornice and embattled, coped parapet. Plinth has shaped, roll-edged copings which form sill band to ground-floor windows. Double cavetto-moulded first-floor band. Ground floor has 6/6 sashes; first floor has mainly 9/6 sashes. All sash windows are cambered-arched and in moulded ashlar surrounds with stepped keystones; first-floor windows have moulded sills and aprons. Central first-floor window is an oculus with radial glazing bars and has tooled architrave and 4 voussoirs. Central entrance, double 8-raised-and-fielded-panel doors with 2 raised and fielded panels over and plain fanlight, in pilastered surround and with cavetto-moulded architrave and keystone. Rear (west) facade of 2 and 3 storeys with attics, 4 irregular bays. From left (south): canted 2-storey bay, the ground floor of which is open with 3 round arches and has within a trefoil-headed lancet; to first floor are three 1/1 sashes with blind boxes. Second bay of 2 storeys with attic, 1 first-floor window; ground floor has flight of steps to pointed-arched entrance with plank door with raised 'Y' moulding, then 2-cusped-light window with quatrefoil to head and hoodmould. First-floor band surmounted by window of 5 stepped trefoil-headed lancet lights with transoms and continuous hoodmould. Above, to attic storey a small lancet light with louvered cover. Third bay breaks forward. 3 storeys with attics, 3 first-floor windows. Chamfered plinth, continuous first- and second-floor sill bands. Ground and third floors have 8/8 sashes; first floor has 6/6 sashes, all in plain reveals, and with sills to ground and first floors. 3 attic roof dormers have casement windows. The right return of the third bay has entrance to ground floor a plank door with fanlight, similar sash windows to first and second floors. Fourth bay is recessed: 2 storeys with attic, 2 first-floor windows. Ground floor has 2 pointed lancets; first floor has half a 2-light window with geometrical tracery to head; hoodmoulds. Gabled attic dormer has casement windows. External stack to facade; right end has off-set buttress to angle. To north courtyard a 12/9 cambered-arched staircase sash with thick ovolo glazing bars and retaining much original glass. To south, internal courtyard a 5-light Perpendicular window. INTERIOR: lower ground floor has Abbot's Kitchen with four bays of rib-vaulting, the ribs spring from corbels approximately 1.25 metres from ground and form quatrepartite bays, but with an added longitudinal ridge-rib with foliate bosses. Blocked pointed window to east with 2 orders of roll-moulding and hoodmould with face stops; further opening with pointed plank door and roll moulding. Tall lancet window in west wall has deeply-chamfered reveals. Inserted fireplace to north wall, also a pointed doorway (part blocked) and further entrance a pointed plank door to south wall in double-chamfered pointed arched opening with hoodmould. To north-east a C17 closed-string, dogleg staircase gives access to great hall, shaped rod-on-vase balusters and shaped handrail. Further vaulted passages to undercroft and cellar with further medieval openings and walls. Ground floor: central hallway has wide staircase with elaborately carved tread ends and 3 balusters per tread, a central barleytwist-on-vase between rod-on-vase; shaped handrail with slight wreath and curved, wider lower step. Dado with raised and fielded panelling. Moulded cornice. C17 dogleg staircase to south has rod-on-vase balusters, ramped and shaped handrail, shallow wreath and carved tread ends. First floor: tall arch to head of main staircase gives access to landing and, to north, the Great Hall (over Abbot's Kitchen). Great Hall much redone, roof with ovolo-moulded beams on arched braces. To east end a large Perpendicular doorway with a steep arch with 2 orders of continuous ovolo mouldings and hoodmould; early C17 chimneypiece with overmantel (removed during late C18 from one of prebendyl houses) has strapwork to overmantel and coats of arms; allegorical female figures over caryatids; panelling to dado. Chapel retains trefoil-headed piscina, 5-light late Perpendicular window with stained glass probably c1800 in south wall; C17 panelling with shaped dentil cornice, panelling to rear of altar has Serlio-type decoration and fluted pilasters; arch and canopied bishop's pew to rear; altar rails have onion-on-vase balusters; roof has panelled vault on carved corbels; black and white marble tiled floor with Minton tiles in lobby. To south, the landing has a C17 pointed-arched door with lozenge decoration in pointed-arched surround with 2 orders of roll-moulding. A short flight of stairs to west has barleytwist-on-vase balusters and shaped handrail, this gives access to former entrance to chapel. Original joinery survives including panelled shutters, 6-panel doors, 8-raised-and-fielded-panel doors, some with tooled architraves; original plasterwork includes moulded cornices. One room on ground floor at south has chamfered beam with ogee stop. HISTORICAL NOTE: by the early C13 a Bishop's house stood on the present site of which at least two internal walls survive. The Bishop's Palace was sold to the Dean and Chapter of Worcester Cathedral in 1846 for ,3,000. It remained as the Deanery until 941. During the Second World War it was let to the Ministry of Works (1941-50), now Diocesan offices. The palace has hosted three royal visits: in 1575 Elizabeth I, her Council and Household stayed here; James II stayed for three nights in 1687; George III and members of the royal family stayed in 1788. Between 1719-23 Bishop John Hough paid a total of ,1,164 to William and Francis Smith for work done at the Palace, this probably included the removal of a Gatehouse and adjoining stables and Bowling Alley and other buildings to east of the Palace, with rebuilding of east part. Their work is typically a fine example of the Baroque tradition. (Listed Building Report)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1271 Oct 20 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 23/02/2016 10:03:51

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤