GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Oaksey Manor

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Wrockeseye

In the civil parish of Oaksey.
In the historic county of Wiltshire.
Modern Authority of Wiltshire.
1974 county of Wiltshire.
Medieval County of Wiltshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: ST99279339
Latitude 51.63952° Longitude -2.01289°

Oaksey Manor has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House, and also as a probable Pele Tower.

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains.

Description

Earthworks 'suggestive of a castle' may be identified with an early C19 description of earthworks south of Oaksey church. These comprised a square enclosure formed by a deep moat and embankment with a large mound in the north east angle, several other square enclosures and, some distance away, another mound. Aubrey in C17 mentions ruins of an old house and chapel adjoining the churchyard. Field investigation in 1968 noted that the only earthworks appeared to be small Medieval garden plots, bounded to the south and west by rig and furrow. Earthworks of a possible Medieval building platform, probable Medieval enclosure, possible Medieval field system and possible drainage system were identified on air photographs. (PastScape)

The church stood in the 12th century on the south side of Oaksey Street. The large manor house was built south of it. Only the foundations of the house remained c. 1593 and earthworks in a field marked its site in 1986.
In 1347 Humphrey, earl of Hereford, was licensed to crenellate his house in Oaksey. In the earlier 15th century the house had a hall with an east tower, a solar on the west, eight rooms on the south, and a ninth room and domestic offices on the north. Hall and tower were roofed with lead and other buildings with stone slates. The house included two chapels and a third stood within its precinct. A farmstead stood nearby. The buildings were often repaired in the 15th century, but had been demolished by c. 1593. (VCH 1991)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1347 Dec 22 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤