GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Yarlington Manor

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Yerdlyngton

In the civil parish of Yarlington.
In the historic county of Somerset.
Modern Authority of Somerset.
1974 county of Somerset.
Medieval County of Somerset.

OS Map Grid Reference: ST65452932
Latitude 51.06165° Longitude -2.49444°

Yarlington Manor has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are no visible remains.

Description

Rogers says that there was a moat to the E and S of the church and manor house. This was cut through higher ground in a loop, or half circle, from a lake some 14 acres in extent, extending along the low ground to the N and W Access was by a drawbridge over the moat where the road by the black- smiths shop leads to the church. (The moat is not shown on OS maps). It is not known where Rogers obtained the information but there is little evidence for a moat in the accepted sense. A shallow depression 25m wide extends for a short distance at ST65502931 along the E side of the churchyard, but on the S the ground is at churchyard level. The depression to the E of the church is being infilled. Nothing seen on APs. (Somerset HER–ref. Os record 1979)

The fortification at Yarlington consisted of a moat on the east and south sides of the church and Manor-house, which is still plainly visible, and which, being cut through higher ground in a loop or half-circle from a lake of some fourteen acres, which extended along the low ground on the north and west sides of the church and Manor-house, placed them in a small island, completely detached from the rest of the village, from which the access was by a draw- bridge over the moat, where the road by the present blacksmith's shop leads to the church. Where this moat again joined the lake, on the west side of the bridge, was 'the pond-head'; and here, in after-days (1562), a mill was built, with a good fall from the water of the stream, which was here bayed back to form the lake. The island was itself so small that the Manor-house could at no time have been very large. But all the offices, stables, and the like, were on the other side of the water, where the farmhouse now stands. This is shown by the names of the fields — Court Field, Pigeon-house Field, and (of course, much later on), Potatoe Sleight. In 1875, when the old farmhouse, which had been burned down, was being rebuilt, the contractor, knowing nothing of its history, came to inform me that, to his surprise, there were evident remains of a stable in the old house. There was also a very extensive deer-park on the whole of the north and east sides of the Manor, and fields bear the names of Buck Park and Hind Park, which latter, however, has lost its name and place within my memory, having been thrown into a larger field of a different name. (Rogers)

In 1313 Simon de Montagu obtained a licence to crenellate his house at Yarlington. In 1540 the site included hall, chapel, and gatehouse, and later a fishpond possibly created from a moat mentioned in 1485. A house called Yarlington House was said to have been built by Sir Henry Berkeley (d. 1601) and in 1705 comprised parlour, hall, dining room, kitchen, buttery, cellar, and 13 chambers including the old, new, long, and gallery chambers. When the house was sold in 1782 it was described as 'picturesque but damp' and was demolished soon afterwards. Yarlington farmhouse was said to have been constructed out of the stables but was rebuilt in 1875. (VCH)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1313 Oct 20 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

No remains. Rogers was a local historian not an archaeologist so his description may want for some critical acumen but it would seem this was a moated house and the 1540 reference to a gatehouse also suggests some degree of fortification. However the moat was small and the ease of demolition does not suggest a house with massive masonry.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 29/03/2017 07:33:10

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤