GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Beauchamp Castle, Stoke Sub Hamdon

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Stoke under Ham; Stoke under Hampden; Gournay Castle

In the civil parish of Stoke Sub Hamdon.
In the historic county of Somerset.
Modern Authority of Somerset.
1974 county of Somerset.
Medieval County of Somerset.

OS Map Grid Reference: ST47681772
Latitude 50.95652° Longitude -2.74627°

Beauchamp Castle, Stoke Sub Hamdon has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are no visible remains.

Description

A mansion known as BEAUCHAMP Castle, Gournay House and Gournay Castle, was built at Stoke sub Hamdon by Lord John de Beauchamp in the reign of Edward I (died 1284). In 1304 the second Lord John founded a Chantry House (see ST 41 NE 24) for the residence of a Provost and four priests to say mass in the free chapel of St. Nicholas situated nearby. In 1334 licence was granted to embattle and fortify the mansion. There is some controversy regarding the site of this castle, some suggesting Chantry House on the top of the hill as the site. The writer refers to Leylands visit to Stoke in 1540, when he spoke of the ruins of a castle 'in the bottom hard by the village', and a very old chapel in the Manor Place - which suggests this site. A somewhat irregular rectangle which the writer suggests is Manor Place, has the remains of an old wall surrounding it, with gateways in the S. and E. walls. There are the remains of an old gatehouse in the S.W. corner, where a 16th C. house is built over an older building, perhaps 14th or 13th C. date. On the west and north of the Manor precincts are the remains of two fish ponds, known as the Castle fishponds, with foundations of a boundary wall extending eastwards from the north-east extremity of the east pond. South of the ponds is the site of St. Nicholas Chapel, on which finds of encaustic tiles bearing heraldic arms have been made (W.W. Walter). In Sept. 1906 excavations revealed the site of the Manor House itself in what is now a builders yard. In the south east quadrant of the precincts, a compact flooring of Ham stone rubble, overlain by stone tile fragments, and substantial wall foundations were found. Other finds included medieval glazed pottery, and a fragment of a knife. (R.H. Walter; Keats-Rohan) There are no extant remains of the fortified manor house but the O.S. siting within the walled enclosure would seem to be correct. The two gateways can still be seen in the wall but there is no gatehouse. (A 16th C. cottage may have been thought by Walter to be the gatehouse). The fishpond complex to the NW would seem to consist of large reservoir which supplied three small fish ponds (Field Investigators Comments–F1 JP 13-JAN-67). Trail excavation carried out by CRAAGS in 1976 in advance of development, over an area of about 180 sq metres in the area ST 476177. Various features were found including 14th century wall foundations and probable foundations of a documented circular dovecote; but this was probably only an area of yards, enclosures and outhouses associated with the fortified manor house, which itself may lie under the adjacent farm (Aston; Leech). (Somerset HER)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1333 July 24 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

Mentioned by Leland in 1540 as 'very notable ruins of a great manor place or castle'. King rejects this house as fortified.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 29/03/2017 07:36:09

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤