GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Charlton House, Shrewsbury

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Charlton Hall; Chorlton's Hall

In the civil parish of Shrewsbury.
In the historic county of Shropshire.
Modern Authority of Shropshire.
1974 county of Shropshire.
Medieval County of Shropshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SJ488123
Latitude 52.70685° Longitude -2.75625°

Charlton House, Shrewsbury has been described as a probable Fortified Town House.

There are no visible remains.

Description

Charlton Hall was the second stone mansion of Shrewsbury. Licence to embattle the hall was granted in 1325. A few fragments of masonry in the rear of the Theatre and the George Hotel are all that remain of the mansion which occupied almost the whole of the area bounded by St. John's Hill, Cross Hill, Swan Hill and Market Street. In a deed of 1470 it was described as "One Great Hall called Chorlton's Hall, one great chamber annexed to the Hall, and one great garden enclosed on either side with stone walls." In 1892 excavations for the Borough Police Offices, Swan Hill, revealed large blocks of red sand-stone, doubtless belonging to Charlton's Hall. (Forrest) At SJ 4902 1245 the footings of one of the walls of the George Hotel are of red sandstone. It is 11.0 m. long and varies in height from 0.8 m. to 1.5 m. At SJ 4900 1242 another portion of sandstone walling is incorporated in the wall of a garage. It is 9.0 m. long and varies in height from 2.0 to c.3.0 m. Both portions have been surveyed though neither could be assessed as part of an early dwelling (Field Investigators Comments–F1 JR 13-OCT-60). (PastScape)

Charlton Hall is cited as one of several high-status buildings in the southern central part of town that were more like large rural manor houses than town houses. Both Charlton Hall, and its neighbour, Vaughan's Mansion had substantial stone walls forming private enclosures around the residential buildings. (Baker et al 1990)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1325 Sept 14 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

The 'great chamber' mentioned in 1470 deed may have actually been a solar tower.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤