GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Sheviock Barton

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Shevyok

In the civil parish of Sheviock.
In the historic county of Cornwall.
Modern Authority of Cornwall.
1974 county of Cornwall.
Medieval County of Cornwall.

OS Map Grid Reference: SX36965502
Latitude 50.37261° Longitude -4.29429°

Sheviock Barton has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are no visible remains.

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Sheviock Barton House, SX 36955504, is a 16/17th century rubble-built house with hipped slate roofs and brick and plastered stacks. Carew, writing at the end of the 16th century, described it as decayed, and Gilbert in 1820 found it much altered and damaged. It presumably stands on the site of the 14th century crenellated house of the Dawney family, although Kempthorne mentions a possible alternative site for this.
Sheviok Barton barn stands at SX 37005500, within the curtilage of the barton. A tradition related by Carew ascribes its building to Emmeline Dawney in the 14th century. The roof collapsed in 1836 and was rebuilt at a lower level. The south wall was rebuilt with the original stone in 1938 (Sheppard 1974; Kempthorne 1934)
House dated 1682 on a stone by the front door but possibly with earlier origins. Altered and extended in the late 18th century, mid to late 19th century and the 20th century. It is two storeyed and built of stone rubble with a slate roof. It may stand on the site of the 14th century house of the Dawney family, granted a licence to crenallate in 1336. (Listed Building Report). (PastScape)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1336 March 19 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

Area susceptible to 'French' raids (the 'french' may have been independent pirates of many nationalities) so may well have been defensible, although the licence may have had more to do with the families ambitions. A market charter had been granted in 1314 (CChR, 1300–26, p. 239) and at much the same time a large barn was constructed and the church was rebuilt. As usual in Cornwall the settlement is dispersed, with the major concentration of the parish population at Crafthole, but the parish church is adjacent to Sheviock Barton.
Kempthorne mentions a possible alternative site for this at the site of a C17 dovecote at SX36345413. This seems unlikely as this is clearly in Crafthole not Sheviock and Crafthole had a clear identity in the medieval period, and there seems no reason to believe the Dawney's would move away from a traditional manorial centre by the parish church. However, this isolated dovecote is a bit of an enigma but possibly part of a medieval, or post-medieval, planed leisure landscape, although its surroundings are despoiled by a golf course.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 28/10/2016 08:38:43

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤