GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Horton Castle, Blyth

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Low Horton; Horton next the Sea; Horton juxta mare

In the civil parish of Blyth Valley.
In the historic county of Northumberland.
Modern Authority of Northumberland.
1974 county of Northumberland.
Medieval County of Northumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NZ28077969
Latitude 55.11093° Longitude -1.56190°

Horton Castle, Blyth has been described as a certain Fortified Manor House.

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains.

Description

The licence for the fortification of his manor house was granted to Sir Guischard de Charron on Dec. 28th.1292.
The moat, which still exists, was possibly the innermost of 2 ditches; there is now no trace of either the outer ditch or the fortress, the building being dismantled in 1809.
Although some portion of it remained 20 years later {1829} that too had vanished by 1909. It was known as Horton Castle (Craster 1909).
No trace of the old Manor House remains.
The moat on the south side is now completely filled in, and on the north and east side is visible in one or two places as a vague depression but slopes are not surveyable. No trace was seen of the outer ditch referred to (F1 EG 08-APR-54). (PastScape)

On Saturday, December 20th, 1292, when returning southward from adjudicating the claims to the Scottish throne, Edward I. arrived at Horton and was there entertained by Charron over the Sunday. The knight turned this visit to advantage by requesting and obtaining permission to fortify his manor-house. A week later, on December 28th, the necessary licence to crenellate was granted to him at Newcastle. The work of fortification seems to have proceeded intermittently for the next six years, for as late as June 5th, 1297, Charron granted to one of his tenants a selion of his demesne in exchange for a selion lying nearer to the moat of the manor-house which, it may be inferred, was then course of construction. This moat, which was possibly the innermost of two ditches and separated from the outer moat by an earthen rampart, still exists and contains an area measuring 190 feet by 203 feet; but no trace remains of the fortress that once stood within it. The old building was finally dismantled in 1809, and, though some portion of it remained twenty years later, that too has vanished, nor can any architectural fragment be discovered except a single arch-stone, which is of fourteenth rather than of thirteenth century date. As an example of the true type of pele or fortified enclosure, its destruction is to be regretted. (Craster 1909)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1292 Dec 28 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

Fortified Manor House, licence to crenellate of 1292 granted to Sir Guischard de Charron, latterly a Delaval possesion, dismantled in 1809. The course of a moat can be traced. Called pelum in 1317-18 and fortalicium in 1415 (The licence means this was a stone building, is this an early C14 use of pele to mean a stone building? Most early uses of pele are said to refer to timber palisades and it's use for small tower houses is supposed to be relatively modern, although the term 'pelehouse' for bastles is used C16.)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 02/02/2017 13:45:50

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤