GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Harringworth Manor

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Manor Cottages; Haringworth; Haryngworth

In the civil parish of Harringworth.
In the historic county of Northamptonshire and the Soke of Peterborough.
Modern Authority of Northamptonshire.
1974 county of Northamptonshire.
Medieval County of Northamptonshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SP91759751
Latitude 52.56769° Longitude -0.64776°

Harringworth Manor has been described as a certain Fortified Manor House.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Manor house, now 2 dwellings. Late C13 origins, surviving range is probably mainly early C17 modified C19. Squared coursed limestone and limestone ashiar, with Collyweston slate roofs. Originally courtyard plan now L-shaped. 2 storeys with attic. Main front is a 5-winduw range. First floor window, to far left, is C15 two-light window with cusped ogee-head lights and hood mould. Below is a C19 casement set in a medieval square-head opening. Other windows are C19 casements under wood lintels. 2 C19/C20 doors to centre are also under wood lintels. The bay to the far left is ashlar and breaks forward slightly. Central brick stack and 2 lateral brick stacks to left and right. C19 lean-to extension to left. Rear elevation has wing breaking forward to right, with gabled roof parallel to main roof. One C17, three-light, stone mullion window, to ground floor, and similar window, with transom, to first floor. Return wall has 2 similar, 3-light, windows. There is a single-light window with stone surround, set diagonally, at the junction of the main range and the projecting wing. There is evidence that this wing continued further eastward. There is also evidence of blocked doorways in the east gable and rear well of the main range. C19 single-storey extension to rear of main range. Interior not inspected but noted as having 2 open fireplaces and a C17 staircase with moulded handrail and square newels with shaped tops. A manor was recorded an this site in 1272, William la Zouche obtained a licence to crenellate in 1387 and a map of 1630 shows buildings arranged around on inner and outer courtyard. A chapel was recorded as standing between the manor house and Church of St. John Baptist. The Manor was bought by Moses Tryon in 1617 and he may have been responsible for some of the surviving building. The house had been largely dismantled by 1719 when the Tryon family made Bulwick Hall their principal residence. (Listed Building Report)

The earliest known manor house on the site was described in 1272 as having a great hall, great chamber with a fireplace, garderobe with a fireplace, a chamber of the religious men with a fireplace; there was also a high gatehouse with a garderobe, a great kitchen, stable, granary and chapel. All were built of cut stone and roofed with stone (PRO, C. 133/2). This manor house was inherited by William la Zouche in 1299 (Cal. IPM Ed. I.III. 568) and in 1387 another William la Zouche obtained a licence to crenellate the house (Cal. Chart. (1341–1417), 307). This major building was described by Leland as 'builded castelle like' (Itinerary I, 14), and a map of 1630 (NRO) shows the outer (S.) and inner (N.) courtyards with buildings ranged along the N. and W. sides of the latter. The chapel, with a monument to George Lord Zouche who died in 1569 lay between the W. range and the church and was in ruins in 1719 (Bridges II, 320). The main residential quarters were presumably in the adjacent W. range, and the surviving cottages were the central part of the N. range and consequently would have been a subsidiary part of the house. The manor was bought by Moses Tryon, a London merchant, soon after 1617, and it was probably he who rebuilt the surviving range. The house had 13 hearths in 1673, but declined in importance after the rebuilding of Bulwick Hall in 1676, and was largely dismantled by 1719.
The existing building consists of a long range which was largely refaced and re-roofed in the early 19th century. The S. front breaks forward at the W. end where a thick, ashlar, wall of medieval date is incorporated. At this point is a ground-floor window set in a larger, medieval, opening; above is a weathered string course and an upper window of the 15th century with two cusped ogee-headed lights in a rectangular chamfered surround with a hood mould and internal hinge pins for shutters. The remainder of the S. wall was rebuilt or refaced in the early 19th century. In the E. gable are indications of a former steeply-pitched gable and a blocked first-floor external doorway; a similar blocked doorway exists in the otherwise featureless N. wall. A tall N. wing of the early 17th century has two three-light hollow-chamfered mullioned windows on the ground floor and another similar but with a transom on the upper. The W. gable has been modified and the N.W. angle shows evidence of the continuation of walls to the N. and W. Set diagonally in the angle between the range and the wing is a 17th-century single-light window of unknown purpose. Internally there are no medieval features. The W. stair has a moulded handrail and square newels with shaped tops and is 17th-century. (English Heritage 1984)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1387 May 8 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).
A Royal licence to crenellate was confirmed in 1431 Nov 15.

Comments

Manor house licensed 1387 and 1431 to William, Lord Zouch. Called a castle by Leland. Was moated.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape           Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 13/6/2017 7:32:22 pm

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤