GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Slingsby Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Slyngesby

In the civil parish of Slingsby.
In the historic county of Yorkshire.
Modern Authority of North Yorkshire.
1974 county of North Yorkshire.
Medieval County of Yorkshire North Riding.

OS Map Grid Reference: SE69617488
Latitude 54.16506° Longitude -0.93532°

Slingsby Castle has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are masonry footings remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Ruins of country house built in the early 17th century for Sir Charles Cavendish, probably by John Smythson, on the site of an earlier building which was granted a licence to crenellate in 1344 and relicenced in 1474. The building is oblong in plan with corner projections, built of limestone with ashlar dressings. It was slighted during the Civil War. The remains of a moat survive as earthworks, though the east side is much mutilated and covered with allotments. (PastScape)

Ruins of Slingsby Castle 25.1.54 GV II Ruins of country house. 1620s. For Sir Charles Cavendish, probably by John Smythson. Limestone rubble brought to course, ashlar dressings. Oblong on plan with corner projections. Originally 2 storeys, 5 bays, with projecting stair turrets to angles. Window openings with quoined jambs under tooled triangular pediments. Remains of first-floor cornice with decorated band. Corner turrets and parts of side walls surviving to 2 storeys in places. This building was probably never finished as Sir Charles Cavendish fled to the continent with his brother the Duke of Newcastle, in 1644. (Listed Building Report)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1344 Jan 28 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).
A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1474 April 17.

Comments

Licence to crenellate granted to Ralph Hastings in 1344 and to William, Lord Hastings in 1474. In the 1344 licence it is called a mansum but in the 1474 licence it is called 'castle or manor', unlike the other manors mentioned in that licence. Clearly what was built from the 1344 licence had some martial aspect.
The moat has outer bank on at least two sides. Even in its eroded state it is over 2m high and several meters wide. The outer bank may be a C16 garden walk feature but is reminiscent of the feature of nearby Helmsley Castle and may be earlier. The Jacobean house may contain remnants of the earlier licenced house(s).
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 11/05/2017 06:39:42

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤