GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Sigston Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Kirby Sigston; Kirkby Sigston; Berford; Beresend; Beresende

In the civil parish of Winton Stank And Hallikeld.
In the historic county of Yorkshire.
Modern Authority of North Yorkshire.
1974 county of North Yorkshire.
Medieval County of Yorkshire North Riding.

OS Map Grid Reference: SE41659515
Latitude 54.35020° Longitude -1.36072°

Sigston Castle has been described as a certain Masonry Castle.

There are masonry footings remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.

Description

Sigston Castle, a 14th century enclosure castle situated 400m north of Kirby Sigston church. The castle lies on gently sloping land at the western edge of the floodplain of the Cod Beck stream and on the south side of a dry valley containing a piped tributary to the Cod Beck. Although they are not included in the scheduling, fields to the north of the castle contain extensive ridge and furrow earthworks indicating that they were in arable cultivation during the medieval period. The medieval village of Kirby Sigston, with which the castle must have been associated, is now deserted but survives as earthworks adjacent to the church. Although over the years the walls of the castle have been demolished to provide stone for buildings in the vicinity, the moat which surrounded it survives as an open ditch and, in places, the foundations of the curtain walls and central keep remain as upstanding earthworks. The castle has a trapezoidal plan, the moated island measuring 140m north-south by 110m east-west. The moat is up to 15m wide and varies between 8m deep on the uphill, north-western arm to 1m deep on the south-eastern arm which runs along the bottom of the slope at the edge of the floodplain. A 10m wide outer bank lies along the south- western, north-western and north-eastern arms of the moat and, although it has been altered in places by drainage works, road construction and possibly by quarrying, it survives up to 1.5m high on the north-western arm. There is no evidence of an outer bank along the south-eastern arm but it is thought that such a feature was not needed here, as the floodplain is likely to have been a marsh in the medieval period. The best-preserved part of the curtain wall lies on the inner edge of the north-western arm, where it survives as a 1.5m high, 4m wide bank containing fragments of building stone and a 0.3m high, 4m wide bank is also visible along the inner edges of the north-eastern and south-eastern arms; elsewhere the foundations will survive below ground. A modern causeway across the north-western arm of the moat indicates the position of the original entrance to the castle; it is aligned with the centre of the north-western side of the keep. This was a rectangular tower measuring 30m by 25m across at its base and its foundations survive as earth-covered banks. The space enclosed by these banks was the undercroft of the keep, the western corner of which has been removed apparently to facilitate the removal of stonework during the demolition and robbing of the tower. Other, less clearly defined earthworks to the south of the keep mark the location of ancillary structures within the castle. John de Sigston acquired the land in 1313 and the castle was built shortly after this; a licence to crenellate was granted in 1336. (Scheduling Report)

The castle of Sigston, called variously Berford (Dodsworth MSS. xci, 177b) or Bereshend, (Cal. Pat. 1334–8, p. 221) seems to have formed part of the manor of Winton. It had the same descent throughout. The land on which it was built was acquired by John son of John son of Michael de Sigston in 1313 on his marriage with the daughter of Henry Maunsell, and the castle seems to have been built shortly after this. In 1336 John de Sigston had licence to crenellate 'his manor of Beresende.' The castle probably began to fall into decay at the time of the division of Ralph Pigot's estates. No traces of the building remain, but the earthworks or foundations are visible. (VCH)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1336 Feb 10 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤