GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Rest Park, Sherburn in Elmet

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Reste; Manor Garth; Sherburn Palace

In the civil parish of Sherburn in Elmet.
In the historic county of Yorkshire.
Modern Authority of North Yorkshire.
1974 county of North Yorkshire.
Medieval County of Yorkshire West Riding.

OS Map Grid Reference: SE54253366
Latitude 53.79643° Longitude -1.17803°

Rest Park, Sherburn in Elmet has been described as a Masonry Castle although is doubtful that it was such, and also as a certain Palace, and also as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains.

Description

Manor Garth, Rest Park, near Sherburn, property of the Archbishops of York who were licenced in 1382 to build a fortlettum for defence of the manor. Rest Park was in use as a residence until the Reformation, being mentioned in a letter of 1500. The lands were sold in 1647, since then the 'Archiepiscopal Palace' has been destroyed (VCH; Wheater). "The site has now been entirely cleared and levelled, leaving no trace of the former extensive earthworks". (PastScape)

Excavation by Mrs. J. Le Patourel for M.P.B.W. on the site of the archbishop's manor house of Rest Park showed it to have had a life of under 200 years. The earliest buildings, erected about the middle of the 14th century, had stone foundations, were rather dispersed and had no moat. All save one were destroyed for the rebuilding which followed Alexander's licence to crenellate dated 13 November, 1383. The ensuing residence consisted of a main 'fortelet' or residential block, backed by an enclosed courtyard of half-timbered buildings, one of which, a reused part of the earlier building, was probably a chapel, since window mouldings and stained glass were found in the vicinity. The main block was 150 ft. by 36 ft. with walls 6 ft. thick and a tower at the S. end. There was probably a vaulted undercroft and the principal rooms were at first-floor level. The buildings were set within a double moat and traces of the bridge-pit were found. Remnants of a stone pier suggest the drawbridge may have been replaced by a fixed bridge. No evidence of outlying fortifications was found, nor was there any sign of defensive work save that provided by the dual moat and the character of the main building itself. The destruction-level was well marked and of uniform date; the pottery compares very closely with that from the Dissolution levels of local monasteries. The house is known to have been occupied in 1528, but after demolition the site was completely deserted and reverted to woodland. (Med. Arch., 1964)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1383 Nov 13 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

Called courtyard castle by King, despite the buildings mainly being half-timbered and there being no corner towers. Now only visible as the slightest of crop marks on air photos.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤