GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Hazlewood Castle, Aberford

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Hazelwood; Heselwode

In the civil parish of Stutton With Hazlewood.
In the historic county of Yorkshire.
Modern Authority of North Yorkshire.
1974 county of North Yorkshire.
Medieval County of Yorkshire West Riding.

OS Map Grid Reference: SE44903979
Latitude 53.85241° Longitude -1.31892°

Hazlewood Castle, Aberford has been described as a certain Fortified Manor House.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Castle, now Carmelite monastery. Late C13 origins, licence to crenellate granted to William Vavasour in 1286. Later additions and alterations in at least 3 stages including C15 tower and refurbishing of interior c1760 attributed to John Carr. Further restorations and rebuilding c1960 for Donald Hart and c1980 for Carmelite Friars. Dressed magnesian limestone with concrete additions and concealed Welsh slate and lead roof. Approximately H-shaped on plan. 2 storeys and basement, 5 bays arranged 2:2:5:2:2 with bays 2 and 4 breaking forward. Chamfered plinth. Flight of steps with decorative ironwork balustrade to entrance, a double 8-fielded- panel door with patterned overlight within door-case with replaced Roman Doric columns supporting fluted frieze and dentilled pediment. Further entrance to rear, pointed, traceried double oak doors brought from Eaton Old Hall c1960. C20 casement windows throughout. Evidence of earlier mullion windows. Crenellations, some replaced. Ridge and rear stacks. To west side are remains of slit windows and to north, evidence of 3 late C17 or early C18 windows with hood-moulds and sills. One originally 2-pointed- light, straight-headed window with moulded spandrels to tower with one light now blocked by later rebuilding. Interior: probable late C13 window now exposed to rear wall of Great Hall, a 2-shouldered-light window within cavetto-moulded shouldered arch with chamfered jambs within depressed chamfered, pointed-arched recess. Remains of probable early C14 newel staircase to rear of Great Hall. Neo-classical rooms include great hall with Greek Doric colonnade, round arcaded niches and marble fireplace; circular ante-room; staircase hall has cantilevered staircase with cast-iron balustrade and wreathed handrail; drawing room and dining room, with marble fireplaces, decorative plaster ceilings, ornamental door-cases and 6- fielded-panel doors. Further late C18 fireplaces and cornices to second floor. Kitchen has round arched fireplace exposed within remains of further probable C17 Tudor-arched opening. Remains of probable earlier C17 fireplace to rear kitchen. Also remains of basket-arched doorway with chamfered jambs. During 1960s various interiors were imported including Flemish panelled room dated 1673-1683 from the Carmelite Church in Ghent incorporating stone fireplace and sculpted overmantel from Eaton Old Hall; the library has probable C16 north European bookcases and 2 barley-twist columns. (Listed Building Report)

Licence to crenellate Hazelwood Castle was granted in 1290. Little remains of the mediaeval structure apart from a few surviving remains of windows in the entrance hall, formerly the castle Hall, and other internal features. From the south, the house presents a castellated Georgian design. A private chapel was founded in 1286, and is the only part of the castle complete in its mediaeval form. (PastScape ref. Pevesner)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1290 Aug 28 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

No longer a monastery. Opened as a hotel in 1997 after restoration.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 19/04/2017 07:43:38

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤