GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Oxburgh Hall, Oxborough

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Oxborough Hall

In the civil parish of Oxborough.
In the historic county of Norfolk.
Modern Authority of Norfolk.
1974 county of Norfolk.
Medieval County of Norfolk.

OS Map Grid Reference: TF74240123
Latitude 52.58100° Longitude 0.57035°

Oxburgh Hall, Oxborough has been described as a certain Fortified Manor House.

There are major building remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Fortified Country House. Licence to crenellate 1482; extensive refurbishment during the late C18 and C19 with the involvement of J.C. Buckler and Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. Brick with some stone dressings. Pantile roofs. Square moated site of 4 wings around a courtyard. The main fabric of the north, the west and half the east wings is C15. The single storeyed south wing is of 1865 with an adjoining C18 section to the west and a mainly early C19 tower to the east. Mainly 2 storeys with attics. North facade. Central 3-storey C15 gatehouse with a 4-centred vaulted archway flanked by polygonal turrets decorated with moulded brick arched corbel tables. Western turret houses winding stair with small quatrefoil windows. Upper storeys of eastern turret have single light arched windows with rectangular hood moulds. Centre bay with a 4-light stone first floor window with arched transoms and brick and stone relieving arches. Similar 3-light second floor window just beneath a 4-centred machicolation. Stepped crenellations. Early C18 3-bay bridge with crenellated parapet crosses the moat. Flanking facades with C19 Gothic fenestration, moulded brick arched corbel tables and crenellated parapets. 2 crow-stepped attic gables with pairs of Cosseyware chimney shafts. East facade. Northern half C15. Southern half C18 and C19 including the 4-storey tower to south west corner. One C18 semicircular-headed sash window with glazing bars. Otherwise C19 Gothic including a stone-dressed 2-storey canted bay with carving and 2 stone-dressed oriels. Arched corbel table. 2 crow- stepped attic gables with single Cosseyware chimney shafts, gabled north wing and 2 gabled dormers. Fabric of west facade almost entirely C15 with Fenestration and decoration similar to that of east facade. Interior. Adequately described in Oxburgh Hall, National Trust, 1982, except for the outstanding C15 roofs over the northern half of the east wing and over the complete west wing. Fully moulded arch braced roofs with king posts rising from collars to braced ridge beam. Furbishment of east wing attributable to J.C. Buckler (Listed Building Report)

Fortified country house with a licence to crenellate in 1482. Extensive refurbishments during late C18 and C19 with the involvement of Buckler and A Pugin. Built of brick with some stone dressings and a pantile roof. Square moated site of four wings around a courtyard. The majority of the north, west and part of the eastern wings is C15 in date. The south wing was built in 1865, with an adjoining C18 section to the west and a mainly C19 tower to the east. A C15 gatehouse stands in the centre of the north facade and an early C18 bridge crosses the moat. Excavation revealed a brick-lined shaft dating from circa 1480, possibly a well or a garderobe shaft. (PastScape)

The gatehouse is flanked by rather unusual gunports consisting of a cross-slit running down to a stirrup-shaped aperture, a type common in Germany. (PastScape ref. Kent, 1988)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1482 July 3 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 09/05/2017 09:58:15

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤