GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Ince Grange

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Ince Manor; Ins; Jus

In the civil parish of Ince.
In the historic county of Cheshire.
Modern Authority of Cheshire.
1974 county of Cheshire.
Medieval County of Cheshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SJ44957655
Latitude 53.28222° Longitude -2.82642°

Ince Grange has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are major building remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Ince Manor was a grange of the Benedictine Monastery of St Werburgh, Chester and was one of the chief properties soon after the Conquest. In 1399 license to crenellate the manor house was granted. The hall and a domestic range, now known as the Manor and Monastery Cottages, are still substantially complete. The hall is of early C15 date with windows of late C15/early C16. The domestic range probably belongs to the late C13/C14. The two buildings occupy two sides of a rectangular space still defined by walls and hedges. Lengths of foundation walls, now incorporated in garden boundaries, are clear evidence of a further building occupying a third (the south) side. Remnants of a filled-in moat or ditch are visible behind Monastery Cottages, and north of Ince Manor at the bend in the lane, a rock-cut ditch can be seen in the front gardens of a pair of recently built houses. There are also the remains, probably of small fishponds, in the field immediately north of the Manor. Park Cottages, south of the group, incorporate Medieval stonework and may be a former barn. (PastScape–ref. Davey and Williams, 1975)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1399 March 18 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).
A Royal licence to crenellate was confirmed in 1410 Feb 5.

Comments

The licence to crenellate granted in 1399 was confirmed, at the cost of a mark (13s. 4d.), in 1410. The abbey was supposedly in financial difficulty, although the abbot was profligate in his spending. The confirmation may suggest little or no work was done in the years after 1399 and that a new building programme was intended in 1410, alternatively an additional programme of work was intended after the completion of the domestic ranges.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤