GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Doddington Tower

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Delves Hall; Dodynton; Dodyngton

In the civil parish of Doddington .
In the historic county of Cheshire.
Modern Authority of Cheshire.
1974 county of Cheshire.
Medieval County of Cheshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SJ70874702
Latitude 53.01970° Longitude -2.43562°

Doddington Tower has been described as a certain Fortified Manor House, and also as a probable Pele Tower.

There are major building remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Fortified structure which is the only surviving building on the site of a moated manor probably built between 1365-1403. The tower is constructed of coursed sandstone with a slate roof, and is three storeys in height with a wall-walk above. The tower was free standing and probably intended as a place of refuge for the family. In early C17 the tower was incorporated into a range of domestic buildings of which nothing now survives. C17 house was demolished and replaced by a house built from 1777 by Samuel Wyatt. The tower was retained as a landscape feature and presumably was used as a gazebo or banqueting pavilion. (PastScape)

The owner of the manor, Sir John Delves obtained licence to crenellate 1365 and the surviving 3 storey pele tower is believed to have been the result of this. It is the only surviving structure on the site of a medieval moated manor house. In the 17th century the tower used to form one end of a Jacobean mansion. This building was demolished when the present mansion was built. The tower remained as a garden feature and at this time a 17th century staircase and 6 statues of The Black Prince, Audley and four Cheshire Knights was added. (Cheshire HER)

A Chester Palatinate licence to crenellate was granted in 1364 July 9 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).
A Chester Palatinate licence to crenellate was granted in 1403 Feb 23.

Comments

Sir John Delves obtained a licence to crenellate in 1364, his grandson and some other men obtained a licence for a tower in 1403.
The tower is now free standing, but the Cheshire HER states it used to form one end of the Jacobean Mansion which could, conceivable, have been a replacement for a medieval hall. This would have made this a fortified solar or chamber tower attached to an unfortified hall, a form common in C14 northern England but rare elsewhere.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 15/11/2016 19:48:34

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤