GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Lincoln Bishops Palace(s)

In the civil parish of Lincoln.
In the historic county of Lincolnshire.
Modern Authority of Lincolnshire.
1974 county of Lincolnshire.
Medieval County of Lincolnshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SK97797168
Latitude 53.23328° Longitude -0.53651°

Lincoln Bishops Palace(s) has been described as a certain Palace.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Former Bishop's Palace. East hall c1175, built for Bishop Chesney. West hall, kitchen and service buildings to south, 1186-1224, for Hugh of Avalon and Hugh of Wells. Repaired and crenellated ( Licentia Crenellandi 1329) by Bishop Burghersh. Gate tower, west hall bay window and chapel range, 1436-1449, for Bishop Alnwick. Partly demolished 1648. Chapel range demolished 1725. Restored 1838. Alnwick Tower Restored 1838. Former stables, now offices, c1876. Dressed stone and ashlar. Roofless except for Alnwick Tower and former stables.
PLAN: east hall and undercroft, west hall with service rooms and kitchen to south, gate tower, chapel range with audience chamber, stable range. The two halls are on opposite sides of a wedge shaped courtyard, open to the south and closed by the northern gate tower.
EXTERIOR: east hall has to north a four-centred arched doorway and remains of a traceried window. Tunnel vaulted undercroft with fireplace to west and shaft of spiral stair to south-east. West hall, 4 bays, formerly aisled, has a canted bay window, mid C15, to the north-west. At the south-west end, a porch, mid C13, with a steep arched doorway flanked by smaller blank arches, with shafts, stiff-leaf capitals and dogtooth ornament. To the south, a similar triple doorway formerly leading to the kitchen, pantry and buttery. This is said to be the earliest complete example of this arrangement. To the south, below and beyond the chapel of the adjoining Edward King House, is a rib-vaulted bay with arches to east and west, with unusual billet moulding. To south, a blocked doorway with shafts. Kitchen has to west and to south, 3 buttresses with 3 setoffs. Gatehouse tower, 3 stages, has moulded plinth, string courses and crenellated parapet. To north-west, a canted projection with octagonal stair turret. North side has a moulded doorway with shafts and hoodmould and traceried panelled doors. Above it, a canted crenellated oriel window. South side has a similar doorway, and above it, a 2-light cross casement with four-centred arched head. Third stage has a similar window on each side.
INTERIOR has a star-vaulted chamber with cove-moulded doorways to east and west, that to east leading via a star-vaulted passage to the ante-chapel which has a tunnel vaulted room beneath it. Chapel range, to north-east, has remains of the audience chamber and oratory with square and rectangular aumbries. At the west end, a large cusped ogee headed sideboard recess, flanked by segmental pointed doorways with linked hoodmoulds. Stable range, 3 bays, Tudor Revival style, has coped parapet and gables, elliptical headed carriage openings and flat headed mullioned windows with hoodmoulds. This building is of unusual importance as a medieval domestic building and because it was the residence of St Hugh, 1136-1200, and Robert Grossteste, 1235-1253. (Listed Building Report)

We have no conclusive evidence as to where the early Bishop's Hall was but the only structural evidence still surviving may suggest that it was within the fortified west end of the cathedral itself. Wherever the Bishop's hall was within the former Roman enclosure, it was removed, first in 1130-33 into the chambers over the East gate, and then in 1137, the King granted the Bishop the land to the south, for the construction of the Bishop's palace. (Stocker 2004)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1329 Sept 28 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

In 1072 Lincoln was the made new centre of the large diocese previously based at Dorchester, Oxfordshire. Consequently there was no original Saxon palace for the new Norman bishop, Remigius de Fécamp, to occupy. His original palace must have been somewhere in the upper city; Thompson (2004) argues it was in the castle and that the Observatory Tower motte was built for the Bishop. Elsewhere it is argued that he may of constructed the West Front of the Cathedral as a palace in the 1070s-80s. In c. 1130 the bishop moved his lodgings into a chamber above the Roman upper town east gate (SK97867194), north of the Cathedral. This large gatehouse (considerably larger than the surviving Newport Gate) now survives as exposed foundations of the north tower only but was reconstructed by the Normans, probably in the 1070's, when all of the upper city was occupied as the original castle of Lincoln (Stocker 2004). The palace was moved south of the cathedral shortly afterwards where there was more seclusion and space to build private residences and a large feasting hall.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 23/02/2016 10:03:49

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤