GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Buckingham Castle, Macclesfield

In the civil parish of Macclesfield.
In the historic county of Cheshire.
Modern Authority of Cheshire.
1974 county of Cheshire.
Medieval County of Cheshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SJ91717358
Latitude 53.25966° Longitude -2.12589°

Buckingham Castle, Macclesfield has been described as a certain Fortified Town House.

There are no visible remains.

Description

Late C15 castellated mansion in town called Buckingham castle had stone gateway facing Mill Street. Porch tower survived until 1933. In 1398 the clerk, John of Macclesfield, applied for a licence to crenellate', which Ormerod felt applied to a house on this site; licence repeated in 1410.

Macclesfield Castle is the most interesting of Macclesfield's townhouses. It was built by John de Macclesfield at the end of C14. He was an important courtier under Richard II and applied for a licence to crenellate his new house in Macclesfield in 1398 and 1399. This was confirmed in 1410, by which time Henry IV was Monarch and John de Macclesfield had retired to his house in Macclesfield. The house was built on four adjacent burgage plots on the east side of Le Walgate (now Mill Street). The acquisition of the land began in 1392 and was complete by 1398. Eventually John's holdings extended over a frontage of 30-40 metres, down to the River Bollin. By 1444, the Dukes of Buckingham had bought the de Macclesfield estates from John de Macclesfield's descendants. They extended and enriched the mansion, but their lavish lifestyle led to their bankruptcy and withdrawal from Macclesfield. The castle was then leased by the Savage family, who grew to prominence in the town. In 1585 the house was described as ruinous, and square in plan with two wings and five turrets, one central and one at each angle. It was surrounded by a strong wall and contained a courtyard, stables, kennels and outbuildings. By the 17th century the holding had become redivided into its four plots. From 1793-1811 a room in the castle was used by the Roman Catholic congregation. By 1932 all that remained of Macclesfield Castle was the porch. This was presented to the town, but was threatened with demolition in advance of the building of a new store. In 1933, a Stockport architect made measured drawings before the building was taken down. No site could be found for the re-erection of the porch and some years later it was buried in the lime pit in the Town Yard. The remains of the porch were re-excavated in 1985 and the original architect's drawings were rediscovered. It was in coursed rubble sandstone with ashlar dressings. The inside of the porch had a vaulted ceiling. The central boss carried a coat-of-arms and was surrounded by eight bosses with Tudor roses and oak leaves and acorns. (Cheshire HER)

A Chester Palatinate licence to crenellate was granted in 1398 Aug 30 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).
A Chester Palatinate licence to crenellate was granted in 1410.

Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤