GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Harewood Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Harewode; Harwode

In the civil parish of Harewood.
In the historic county of Yorkshire.
Modern Authority of Leeds.
1974 county of West Yorkshire.
Medieval County of Yorkshire West Riding.

OS Map Grid Reference: SE32184564
Latitude 53.90593° Longitude -1.51166°

Harewood Castle has been described as a certain Tower House.

There are major building remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Large tower house (ruin). Mid C14 by William de Alburgh who obtained license to crenellate in 1366. Large,dressed,locally-quarried millstone grit, lacks roof. A single self-contained keep-like structure rectangular on plan with corner projections,that to north-east angle containing entrance;with another oblong attached beyond on north-side containing kitchen. Entrance, Great Hall with Solar above; at lower level, kitchen and buttery with cellars under; Chapel over portcullis chamber, towers housed bedchambers and garde-robes. 2-storey hall-range, 3-storey service-range,south-east and south-west projections 4-storey towers over 100' high carried up above the roof of the main block, other projections formerly had towers. East entrance front: 5 bays. 5th bay projecting tower has pointed-arched doorway with chamfered surround with above, at 3rd-floor level,remains of traceried window to chapel flanked by shields with the coat of arms of Aldburgh and of Edward Balliol, the former puppet King of Scotland whom he had served with, set above, inscription "VAT SAL BE SAL" (WHAT SHALL BE SHALL) in high relief. Flanking bays have chamfered cross-mullioned windows one surviving with mullions. First 2 bays are projection of wing with 2 bays of arrow slits,one lighting stair. Rear of hall range has 3 bays of former cross-windows with narrow chamfered light set between first 2 windows to light internal buffet (see Interior). Right-hand return: northern service range, on steep slope, 3 diminishing stages with chamfered band carried round 3 sides, scattered fenestration. Interior: the entrance is defended by 2 pairs of doors and a portcullis the groove for which remains. It leads directly to the former screen's passage at the north end of the hall, the upper end of the hall has a raised curbstone for a dais on which is set the fireplace in the south wall (lacks surround). The hall windows are raised up to a high level and the seats in the reveals are approached up a short flight of steps in the wall thickness. They have segmental- arched heads. Along the side walls of the main body of the hall are remains of stone wall benches. On the west wall and on the dais is the principal feature of the room, an elaborate recess with a richly-cusped arch, crocketed ogee gable lit by a small window at the back. It is almost certainly a buffet or sideboard for the display of plate. Large corbels formerly supported the floor to the solar above. The weathering for the steep pitched roof can be seen on the north and south walls. The south wall has joist holes for a gallery approx. 10' above the solar floor with a plain fireplace under and another, mostly destroyed, on the east wall. Centrally-placed at north end of hall is an arched doorway to an unheated room, probably the buttery. Opposite entrance is arched-doorway to a lobby which leads to the kitchen and may have been a servery with a mural-stair cut in the west wall to the cellar/basement with remains of barrel vault with large ribs. Above, the kitchen has 2 large fireplaces and an oven. In the tower over the entrance is a portcullis chamber and above that, the chapel, with a display of heraldic shields on the walls, entered from the solar. The towers contain one small room on each floor mostly provided with fireplaces, garde-robes and wall cupboards. There has been little structural alteration to the castle since it was built and in spite of its ruined condition it is probably the best example in Yorkshire of a C14 fortified tower-houses. The primary historical interest of it is an example of medieval domestic planning and not as military architecture. Edward Balliol, King of Scotland, is reputed to have taken refuge here when driven from his Kingdom. It was later the home of the Redmaynes and the Rythers. It was known to be inhabited in 1630 but was derelict in 1656 when it was sold to Sir John Cutler. (Listed Building Report)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1366 Dec 27 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 05/12/2016 12:56:15

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤