GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Penshurst Place

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Penhurst Palace

In the civil parish of Penshurst.
In the historic county of Kent.
Modern Authority of Kent.
1974 county of Kent.
Medieval County of Kent.

OS Map Grid Reference: TQ52754398
Latitude 51.17456° Longitude 0.18340°

Penshurst Place has been described as a certain Palace, and also as a certain Fortified Manor House.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Country house originally constructed as a manor house during the early 14th century. A licence to crenellate was granted in 1341. A second licence to crenellate, granted in 1392, produced an enclosing outer wall with side and angle towers. The house was extended and altered in the late 14th century, in the 1430s, 1552, and during 17th to 18th century. Restorations were carried out circa 1818 and 1850s. The large, rambling house is built largely of sandstone, with tiled roofs. (PastScape)

Large, rambling building of various periods built largely of sandstone in differing colours but with some brickwork and a little Kentish ragstone. Elevations mostly battlemented, but some steeply-pitched tiled roofs visible. The oldest part is hall house built by John de Pulteney, license to crenellate 1341. Very large hall with fine timber roof resting on figure corbels. Carved screen of late C16. Solar end much altered with stone external curved stair of mid C15. Undercroft below has piers running into arches without capitals. Further license to crenellate of 1392 produced enclosing outer wall with square side and angle towers. Only south central gate tower (qv) survives complete and western stretch of wall. Mid C15 the Buckingham building, to west of old house, much altered in 1850's. To south of this the Elizabethan wing with long gallery on 1st floor. Rich plaster ceiling and Jacobean woodwork articulated by fluted pilasters. Sensitively restored. This links with altered south-west tower. Other Elizabethan ranges link altered north-west tower with north central tower and the latter to the original house. Central tower (King's tower) remodelled at this time. Considerable renewal of these parts aid building of long north-east section in 1818 by J B Rebecca in Tudor-Gothic style. (Listed Building Report)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1341 Oct 6 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).
A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1392 Sept 21.

Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤