GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Hampton Court, Hope under Dinmore

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Hampton Richard

In the civil parish of Hope under Dinmore.
In the historic county of Herefordshire.
Modern Authority of Herefordshire.
1974 county of Hereford and Worcester.
Medieval County of Herefordshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SO52055241
Latitude 52.16786° Longitude -2.70248°

Hampton Court, Hope under Dinmore has been described as a certain Fortified Manor House.

There are major building remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.

Description

House. Circa 1427-36 for Sir Roland Lenthall (who had a licence to crenellate in 1434). Altered early C18 by Colen Campbell for Lord Coningsby and remodelled and restored in the early C19 by Sir Jeffrey Wyatville for Richard Arkwright. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, lead and plain tiled roofs behind embattled parapets with groups of C19 circular stacks. Quadrangular plan representing the original C15 layout the main surviving parts of which include the gatehouse, the chapel and the porch. The early C18 alterations included the remodelling of the south front and additions to the south-east and south-west. The C19 remodelling included the partial refenestration of the structure, the heightening of the main ground floor rooms to the south and east and numerous additions. Two and three storeys with cellar and chamfered plinth. North entrance front: main part of 1:3:1:3:1 bays composed of large central rectangular gatehouse with flanking three-bay ranges terminating in small square towers. Gatehouse: three levels rising above rest of building with machicolated parapet on moulded corbelling. Two centred arched gateway beneath a square head with quatrefoil tracery in the spandrels, moulded jambs and a hoodmould with head stops. The reveals are grooved for a portcullis and the double doors are original and have nail- studded battens on square framing with a wicket in each fold. The archway is flanked by cruciform loopholes. Above is a C19 archway with a four-centred head, incorporating both upper levels and having a 4-light mullioned window to each level sub-divided by a stone panel with a shield relief frieze. The lower window interrupts a string course. In the left side of the gatehouse is ground floor cruciform loophole and a cusped lancet beneath a square head with a hoodmould on the upper levels. To the right side is a similar window at the intermediate level and a bartizan tower in the angle containing a staircase and having three loopholes. The south side of the gatehouse has an original tall niche with canopied head and vaulted soffit and within, above the ground floor, is a two-bay quadripartite stone rib vault with foliated bosses. The flanking three-bay ranges: the bays adjacent to the gatehouse are carried up higher than the rest of the ranges to form small square towers. The left range is of two storeys divided by a string course. There are buttresses with offsets articulating the bays and flanking two ground floor windows. There are three first floor windows and a further window on the second floor of the tower. The tower terminating this range to the left is of two levels with a string course and has a window on both levels. All windows are cusped lancets with square heads and hoodmoulds with head stops. The right range, is of three storeys with a continuous hoodmould to the ground floor windows. There are two 2-light windows with square head on each floor. The heightened bay adjacent to the gatehouse has a cusped lancet (similarly detailed to those in the left range) on each floor. The square tower terminating the range to the right is of two levels divided by a string course and has a similar lancet on the second level. The chapel adjoins the east end of the north front. It has a gabled roof with an east end plain parapet and finial and side parapets pierced with a trefoil frieze (probably a C19 alteration). It has a continous four-bay nave and chancel. At the east end are diagonal buttresses with offsets ter- minating in tall pinnacles. There is a 5-light east window and three 3-light north windows , all with pointed heads and hoodmoulds. There is also a blocked window to the south-east. The east, south and west front retain no medieval features being largley refaced and C19 windows inserted. On the south side of the courtyard is the C15 porch. Square plan. Two storeys with machicolated parapet and diagonal corner buttresses with offsets. There is a four-centred archway with a hoodmould and a C19 doorway, similarly arched, with traceried infill between the two archways. There is an original 4-light window above with a sill string. The quadripartite vaulted cloisters built around the courtyard are C19 additions. Adjoining the west elevation of the house is a service range also of quadrangular plan and of one and two storeys, similarly detailed to the main building. This service range has a long north-west wing incorporating the former stables and servants' quarters. This is largely C19 and since altered. However, the stables are probably of C16 origin; they are of rubble with ashlar dressings with a machine tiled roof and gable-end parapets with round finials. Five bays aligned north/south with projecting central wing on east side. Single storey and attic. Main east elevation: the central gable end has a blocked opening on each floor level and a right side door. The flanking bays are articulated by narrow buttresses and have large lunette windows, two with doorways beneath. Interior: main house has an early C18 open well stair- case west of the gatehouse with a scrolled wrought iron balustrade and moulded handrail. East of the gatehouse is an early C18 marble fireplace with fluted columns and a coat of arms. The chapel retains part of its C15 ribbed ceiling which is elaborately moulded and painted with ornately carved bosses and there is some original stained glass in the north windows. According to a letter of Vanbrugh's, Talman may have made some plans for the remodelling of Hampton Court and the illustration in Campbell's Vitruvius Britannicus, Vol II, 1717, might represent Talman's scheme for a medievalised symmetrical facade. Early C18 illustrations by Kip and Knyff and later C18 and early C19 illustrations, for example that by Neale of 1826, suggest the building may have a further complicated architectural history. (RCHM Herefs III, p 68-70; BoE, p 141-2). (Listed Building Report)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1434 Nov 6 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 29/09/2016 06:02:42

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤