GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Netley Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Abbey Hill; Netly; Letley; Letelege

In the civil parish of Hound.
In the historic county of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight.
Modern Authority of Hampshire.
1974 county of Hampshire.
Medieval County of Hampshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SU45120885
Latitude 50.87732° Longitude -1.35981°

Netley Castle has been described as a certain Artillery Fort.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.

Description

One of the Solent forts built in 1542 by Sir William Paulet at the request of Henry VIII. A single storeyed oblong structure with archways on the seaward side and strong battlemented parapet, the battlements curving convexly on their outward face. The fort was garrisoned until 1627 when it became a private residence. c1840 the fort substantially remained, with little enlargement. c1840-60, an upper storey was added, and in 1885-90 the building was transformed and greatly enlarged, with the addition of a third storey and a new wing on the SE side rising to three storeys (Pevsner; VCH).
Archaeological observations made during refurbishment works to convert the building into apartments proved the assessments of Colvin and others to be largely correct, except with respect to two significant features of the forts original form; there is no evidence of a moat, and the keep and northern platform enclosed open spaces at ground floor level probably roofed by wall fast timber structures.
Although estimates of the fort's construction date vary, it was functioning by at least 25th March 1545, when the records for payments to the garrison begin. The fort was one of a group of three around the Solent, with Southsea and St. Andrew's Point. It was maintained and garrisoned until at least 1626-7 when it was surveyed by Dutch engineers, and possibly as late as 1642 when it was reported as disabled. It was later repaired, in 1650, under the Commonwealth, in anticipation of royalist support for Charles II, but with the re-establishment of the monarchy the fort became redundant and its design obsolete.
The fort's ruinous fabric presented an ideal canvas for 19th century Romantic artists and Gothic architects. Early 18th century estate surveys indicate a gabled roof over the keep whilst the 1838 Tithes survey shows the presence of a tower at the south end by that time. Continuous redesign and refurbishment took place after the fort became a residence in the early 19th century. In 1936 the castle was sold and purchased for conversion into a convalescent home. It was converted to apartments in 2001 (M. Heaton archaeological watching brief).
A Solent fort built in 1542 and garrisoned until 1627. It then became private house. It was heightened in 1857 and an asymmetrical Gothic tower was built 1885-90. The 19th century additions added two more floors to the original single-storeyed Henry VIII building (Scheduled Monument Notification).
The Henrician artillery castle consisted of a single-storey rectangular tower (19.5m wide by 14m deep) flanked by gun platforms on either side. There were four wide embrasures facing the sea on the roof of the main building. It was built by Lord St John for Henry VIII (Harrington). (PastScape)

A royal pardon and licence to crenellate was granted in 1547 Sept 20 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

Solent fort, said to be built in 1542 by Henry VIll out of the Abbey materials. However, the licence granted in 1547, by Edward VI to William Paulett, pardoning his building of a fortilicium at Letley, is clearly for this building. This 'pardon' (this should not be read, in any way, as a transgression by Paulett) granted considerable lands to fund the fort and a garrison of 9 men.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 08/05/2017 09:15:49

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤