GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Colchester Castle

In the civil parish of Colchester.
In the historic county of Essex.
Modern Authority of Essex.
1974 county of Essex.
Medieval County of Essex.

OS Map Grid Reference: TL998253
Latitude 51.89059° Longitude 0.90308°

Colchester Castle has been described as a certain Masonry Castle.

There are major building remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Construction of Colchester Castle started in the reign of William Conqueror, perhaps as early as 1070-1, under the direction of the king's steward, Eudo Dapifer. The castle was later held by him until his death in 1120 when it reverted to the king. Colchester castle originally consisted of a large defended enclosure in the north-east quadrant of the Norman town and it had a great keep, or fortified palace, in the centre. The keep measures 46.2m x 33.5m (151ft 6 inches x 110ft) making it even larger in area than the White Tower in London which was a very similar structure. Battlements preserved in the wall show that work on the keep at Colchester ceased temporarily, perhaps in 1075, when there was a rebellion in East Anglia supported by a Danish fleet. This may have required preparation of the keep for a siege after only the ground floor had been completed. In any event, the building was completed by 1101, although exactly when is uncertain. The keep rests on the foundations and podium of a great Roman temple. Practically all of the masonry in the keep itself is re-used Roman material, apart from the newly-carved stone for the quoins, window reveals and facing, much of which has now been removed. At the base of the keep a substantial plinth splays out like a skirt. Above this the building has a ground floor and first floor, although an additional floor was originally planned. Internally the space was divided, first of all, by two major north-south walls, one of which was arcaded and is now missing. In addition, in the south-east corner, on the second floor, there was to have been a chapel with a projecting apse which is reproduced in the plan of the crypt and sub-crypt on the floors below, although the chapel itself may not have been built. The main entrance to the keep on the south side is, unusually, at ground level rather than on the first floor, although it was protected by an additional defensive structure. West of the entrance is a tower containing a spiral staircase. There are substantial clasping buttresses in the north-east and north-west corners and in the latter there is a second spiral staircase which rises from first floor level. At this level the Great Hall occupied the western side of the building. A second entrance, reached by an outside stair existed at the north end of the Hall. Large fireplaces, two in the west wall and two in the east, are amongst the earliest in medieval England. The keep was reduced to its present height in the late C17. Other buildings, including a hall and a chapel, are known in the castle bailey. (Les Normands)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 05/05/2017 09:03:12

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤