GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Brymshoo

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
New Hall Purleigh

In the civil parish of Purleigh.
In the historic county of Essex.
Modern Authority of Essex.
1974 county of Essex.
Medieval County of Essex.

OS Map Grid Reference: TL83740263
Latitude 51.69469° Longitude 0.65712°

Brymshoo has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are earthwork remains.

Description

An incomplete moat at New Hall, Purleigh was identified by P J Cook from a map of the hall dated circa 1600. The remains of a rectangular moat are visible W of New Hall. The S arm survives only in the SW corner where it is dry and under grass, and has a maximum width of 12m and depth of 0.6m; it is truncated to the S and E by the modern access track from the farm to Chelmsford Road. The N arm was infilled by the present owner about 25 years ago, and now is traceable as a gentle scarp in the garden lawn NW of the farmhouse. The W arm has also been much reduced in both width and depth, particularly in its southern half, by the encroachment of the field to the W now planted as a vineyard, although it still survives as a field drain feeding a pond in the NW corner of the moat. The original external length of this W arm was probably in the order of 70m. The modern pond which now occupies its N end is drained to the N by a combination of the field drain, which may perpetuate part of the original water management system for the moat. New Hall farmhouse has C19 facades, but the owners say parts date back to the C15, and as such it may therefore represent the original house that stood inside the moat. (PastScape)

New Hall in Purleigh "was formerly called "Brymshams" (1527), "Bremstones" (1537) and "Brempsons" (1554) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brimson ref. Essex Place-Names)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1347 Dec 22 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

Humphrey de Bohan was granted a licence to crenellate in 1347 for ten named properties. One of these was Brymshoo in Essex. De Bohun was wealthy with land and recent French booty and ransoms, probably would have had the resources to do some building at all of these sites, although a full programmes of new building works was probably not really intended at every site. The arrival of the Black Death the next year certainly would have curtailed any building programme.
Gatehouse has previously identified a mound at Brimstone Hill as a possible site. That site is not that of a domestic house and is no longer considered as a potential site. The moat at New Hall seems much more like that of a licenced house but the tenurial history has to be confirmed before such an identification is certain. This manor seems to have been a holding of the Brinson family (de Breaunzon, Brianzun) along with West Thurrock until that estate was split up and sold off in 1339. If so then this was a newly obtained manor for Bohan.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape                
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤