GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Bridlington Priory

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
The Bayle Gate; Bridlyngton

In the civil parish of Bridlington.
In the historic county of Yorkshire.
Modern Authority of East Riding of Yorkshire.
1974 county of Humberside.
Medieval County of Yorkshire East Riding.

OS Map Grid Reference: TA17696796
Latitude 54.09354° Longitude -0.20360°

Bridlington Priory has been described as a certain Fortified Ecclesiastical site.

There are no visible remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.

Description

The Priory of Augustinian Canons, at Bridlington, was founded before 1113-4, and dissolved in 1537. This was one of the largest houses of the order, and there appear to have been a number of lay brothers until the fourteenth century. In 1380 the house contained the prior, twenty-four canons, and only one lay-brother. The last prior, William Wode, was executed in 1537 after the Pilgrimage of Grace, and it is said that there were then twenty-six canons who were expelled through the attainder. (PastScape)

The Priory was taken by William de Gros, Count of Aumale in 1143, and fortified in some form against the forces of the Empress. The present remains exhibit no indication of former fortification, and the works remain obscure. (Creighton 1998)

in 1143 the earl of York, 'troubled by the hostility of Ranulf earl of Chester and Gilbert of Gant converted the monastery of St Mary of Bridlington into a castle' (Dalton 1994 citing Symeon Opera )

Wilelmus Albemarlensis qui exclusis regularibus clericis ecclesiam invasit et polluit Brelintoniensem. (William of Newburgh)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1388 May 17 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

The priory was granted a licence to crenellate in 1388, by King Richard II. The actual licence, a rare survival, is on display in the Bayle gate. The large vehicular archway of The Bayle was the priory's main entrance and the interior passage gives access to small wings, both with a garderobe, one being the porter's lodge and the other a prison. Accessed by spiral stairs, is a large first floor chamber, used as the Court of the Priors and although altered and repaired in brick during C17, the gate, still retains its original form and arrangement. The gate dates to the C12 and some speculation is given to it being associated with William le Gros. It was altered to the latest fashion in the early C14 and the large upper chamber was added about the time of the licence to crenellate. In its current form it is not crenellated and no old illustrations show it with crenellations. The nave of the Priory church survives as the parish church. The shire of St John of Bridlington, the last English saint created before the reformation, is long lost. The licence to crenellate was probably associated with the prolonged canonisation process for St John and the creation of a pilgrimage shrine at Bridlington.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 13/04/2017 06:56:47

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤