GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Lumley Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Lomley

In the civil parish of Little Lumley.
In the historic county of Durham.
Modern Authority of Durham.
1974 county of County Durham.
Medieval County of County Palatinate of Durham.

OS Map Grid Reference: NZ28785105
Latitude 54.85343° Longitude -1.55325°

Lumley Castle has been described as a certain Masonry Castle.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Large castle and 3 ranges around service court; now an hotel. Licences to crenellate 1382 and 1392; altered c.1570-80, and 1721 by Sir John Vanbrugh. Early C18 service court. Dressed and ashlar sandstone, pantiled roofs and stone chimneys. Quadrangular plan: 4 ranges round courtyard with 4 angle towers; 3 ranges round service court on north. Hall in west range. Interior. Vaulted medieval ground floor with pointed doorways and jewel stairs in towers. Hall in west range retains 3 doorways behind screen and has c.1570 classical stone fireplace. 2-storey kitchen with 3 fireplaces in north-west tower. (Listed Building Report - medieval parts only)

Late 14th century crenellated fortified house quadrangular in plan comprising four three-storey ranges arranged round a courtyard with four four-storey angle towers. Licences to crenellate took place in 1382 and 1392. A chapel documented in 1432 was situated in the northeast tower. Alterations to the house were made circa 1580 and 1721. It is constructed of dressed and ashlar sandstone with pantiled roofs. Additions to the house were made in the 20th century, and it is now used as a hotel. The site has been interpreted as a possible site of a Roman signal station due to the presence of Roman masonry. (PastScape summary)

The strong parallels between the design of Lumley Castle and the design of Raby, Bolton, and Brancepeth Castles suggests that they were all designed by a single architect, probably John Lewyn. (PastScape ref. Hislop, 1996)

A Durham Palatinate licence to crenellate was granted in 1389 Nov 10 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).
A Royal licence to crenellate was confirmed in 1392 Oct 24.

Comments

Sir Ralph Lumley obtained licences from Bishop Skirlaw in 1389 and from Richard II in 1392 to crenellate and rebuild his castle at Lumley. In plan, the castle is a quadrangle enclosing a square courtyard with a large tower at each corner. These towers are rectangular with their greatest length east and west. Access to the courtyard is gained by a vaulted passage on the east side. Externally, the outline of the original buildings has changed little, although many of the windows have been replaced by some of C16 and C18 date. The east range of buildings contains the remains of an earlier Manor House. Licence for a chapel was granted in 1432.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 02/02/2017 13:45:47

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤