The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Bangor Bishops Palace

In the community of Bangor.
In the historic county of Caernarfonshire.
Modern authority of Gwynedd.
Preserved county of Gwynedd.

OS Map Grid Reference: SH58017215
Latitude 53.22631° Longitude -4.12683°

Bangor Bishops Palace has been described as a certain Palace.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.


The former palace of the Bishops of Bangor. Excavation to the east suggests that there has been a palace on this site since the thirteenth-fourteenth century if not earlier. The earliest part of the present building is a timber framed hall with solar and service range, dated to around 1500. (Coflein)

No trace of any medieval building which may have stood on the site survives. The earliest existing structure is that in the western 'L' of the main block, said to have been started by Bishop Dean (1494-1500), but the greater part was built by Bishop Skerington (1509-1533), as recorded in a former inscription over the porch door. (Gwynedd Archaeological Trust HER Ref.–RCAHMW)

Below the Cathedral; N side elevation to Deiniol Road and outbuildings to E.
Formerly the Bishop’s Palace. An L-plan structure of ca 1500 was doubled in size ca 1600 forming the present basically U-plan shape; mid C18 central cross range to N and major additions dated 1810 by Bishop Majendie. Some alterations in 1960 renovation. 2-storey and attic; cement render elevations with plinth, slate roofs and boarded eaves.
The interior retains openwell staircase hall dated 1753 to oval ceiling rose; turned balusters, Ionic newell posts, carved tread ends and panelled dado. Later cast iron supporting column with acanthus leaves and spiral tendrill. Council chamger (1st floor) has segmental vault with thinly detailed Adamesque plaster-work and Gothic ironwork ventilator. 2 trusses visible from Chief Executive’s Office, infilled with studded partition and 1 collar truss with arched branches; another is said to be of hammerbeam type.
The 6-window S front has asymmetrical projecting side ranges, formerly with polygonal end to left. The 2-stroey, jettied and gabled porch to left formerly opened on to the cross passage; segmental arched and pilastered entrance with double doors. The later part to the right is slightly advanced. Small pane sash windows, some paired or tripartite; small pane attic windows, 1 midway up the roof pitch. The left side has the twin gable end of the 1810 NW extension; 2 Gothic windows in former doorways and round headed small pane windows above. Similar glazing to 3-window N elevation, including French windows with freestone surrounds and central slate plaque reading: "Dominus Gulielimus Episcopus Aedificavit AD - 1810". Set back to left is a single storey flat roof range extending the remaining width of the building including porch below the 3-window central cross range; small pane sash windows, Gothic to ground floor. Similar details to E end with wide 2-window gable and tall chimney stack; attached service ranges. (Listed Building Report)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER       Listing    
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   Historic Wales   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain Designated Historic Asset Descriptive Information from The Welsh Historic Environment Service (Cadw), licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Lidar coverage in the UK is not complete. The button above will give an idea of the area of coverage. Higher resolution lidar images in both DSM and DTM form may be available from Lle A geo-Portal for Wales (click the preview tag to bring up a map and then select format byclicking on the small blue diamond in the top right corner of the map.)
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of the described site.

This record last updated before 1 February 2016