The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Douglas Artillery Fort

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Pollock rocks; Paul Bridson's Parlour

In the parish of Douglas.
On the Isle of Man.

OS Map Grid Reference: SC38467534
Latitude 54.14825° Longitude -4.47486°

Douglas Artillery Fort has been described as a certain Artillery Fort.

There are no visible remains.


The circular stone coastal fort on Pollock Rock, Douglas was built in ?1539 to defend the harbour against invasion. Alterations and additions were made at several times during the 17th century and re-armament over the period of the Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815). The fort was demolished in 1818 (Curphey 1967). (PastScape)

‘The old Fort’ on Pollock rocks at the entrance to the New Pier, taken down about 1816, when Major Holloway repaired Castle Rushen and constructed Batteries on Douglas Head and at Peel Castle. Townley, p. 71. Figured by Feltham, 1798; Frontispiece Mx. Soc. vi. (Kermode 1930)

Douglas Fort
This appeared to have more of a Customs collection role
Constable (with additional pay to look after My Lord's concerns there) - £10
Gunner - £8
5 Soldiers - one of whom was Customer (ie collector of Customs) - £4 (

Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   Vision of Britain   Geology          
Air Photos >
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of English Heritage, the various governments of the islands, other organisations and individuals. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated on Tuesday, April 18, 2017