The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Sockbridge Hall

In the civil parish of Sockbridge And Tirril.
In the historic county of Westmorland.
Modern Authority of Cumbria.
1974 county of Cumbria.
Medieval County of Westmorland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY50302699
Latitude 54.63596° Longitude -2.77041°

Sockbridge Hall has been described as a probable Pele Tower.

There are no visible remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


Sockbridge Hall (Plate 17), house and outbuildings, at the N.E. end of the hamlet. The House is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble, partly ashlar-faced, and the roofs are slate-covered. It formerly belonged to the family of Lancaster and passed to the Lowthers early in the 17th century. The main block seems to have been largely if not entirely re-built in the middle or second half of the 16th century. At the end of the same century the E. wing was added and in the 17th century a small wing was added on the E. side of the main block and partly on the site of a small original wing. A pele-tower, formerly existing to the E. of the main block, was destroyed c. 1830 and the materials are said to have been re-used in one of the lodges of Lowther Park. The main block retains a number of 16th-century stone windows with moulded labels; some of these are of three square-headed and transomed lights; one on the E. side, now blocked, is of three lights with four-centred heads while the window below has elliptical-headed lights; a doorway on this side has a triangular arch in a square head. (RCHME 1936)

In a settlement of dispute between Roger de Lancaster, the mesne lord, and Christiana, widow of Gilbert de Lancaster, underlord of Sockbridge, made in the year 1279, Roger granted to Christiana common of pasture for herself and her heirs dwelling in Sokebred for stock of every kind the whole year through. Her grandson, another Gilbert, gave to his son Christopher, "a house and land" in Sockbridge. It is probable that the pele tower was built about 1375. The western wing, 67 feet in length, was added in the middle of the 16th century, and later, say in 1575, the southern wing was added, forming a quadrangle. In 1830 the tower was pulled down and the materials used for building Buckham Lodge in Lowther Park. (Curwen 1932)

Farmhouse and attached outbuilding. The house probably dates from the mid to late 16th century, with extensions of 17th and 18th century date. Documentary evidence indicates that work was carried out on the building between 1660-1710. The outbuilding attached to the south east angle of the house originated as a gatehouse and dates from the late 16th century. A 14th century pele tower, which formerly stood to the east of the main block, was demolished circa 1830. Both buildings are of stone, with slate roofs. (PastScape)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:30

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact