The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Killington Hall

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;

In the civil parish of Killington.
In the historic county of Westmorland.
Modern Authority of Cumbria.
1974 county of Cumbria.
Medieval County of Westmorland.

OS Map Grid Reference: SD61298901
Latitude 54.29518° Longitude -2.59608°

Killington Hall has been described as a probable Pele Tower.

There are major building remains.

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.


Early 15th century tower of the Pickerings with domestic buildings of circa 1640. Originally surrounded by a moat. Hall altered circa 1640 when a crosswing was demolished. Altered 1803. Site of domestic chapel. (PastScape–ref. Perriam and Robinson)

C15 with alterations and additions of 1640 and 1803. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Peel tower to south end is in ruin. ower partially collapsed. Interior of tower has no floor or roof. Small inserted outhouse, blocked fireplace and corbells to north side. (Listed Building Report)

Killington Hall (Plate 117), N.W. of the church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It belonged in the later Middle Ages to the family of Pickering. The house was built in the 15th century, probably on the normal plan of a hall-block and cross-wings at the ends. The S. cross-wing survives in a ruined state but the hallblock was much altered and heightened in 1640. The N. cross-wing no longer exists. Further alterations were made to the house in 1803. The E. front of the main block has a projecting bay towards the S. end; both this and the bay containing the entrance are carried up as gabled dormers. The upper windows are of c. 1640 and of two, three and four square-headed lights with stone mullions and labels; the lower windows have been altered; above one of them is a panel with the initials T.K. for Thomas Kitson and a shield of his arms. In the gable of the N. dormer is a panel with the initials and date T.K., L.K. 1640, also the further initials R.I. and two fleurs-de-lis. The back wall retains some plain stone windows of 1640 and part of the head of a 15th-century window, otherwise destroyed. The ruined S. wing is of two storeys and was finished with an embattled parapet, of which small portions still remain. Both storeys on the E. side have an original 15th-century window of four and three trefoiled lights respectively, in a square head. There are remains of two similar windows on the S. side of the ground storey; the other windows are plain square-headed openings. The S. wall of the house forms the N. wall of the wing and has traces of the earlier and lower roof of the hall-block. On the gable is a chimney-stack with cylindrical shafts of c. 1640. There are traces of a projection on the W. wall which may represent a former garde-robe tower. In the ground-floor room is an original fireplace with chamfered jambs and lintel. Four shaped corbels in the upper storey presumably supported the wall-posts of the roof. Inside the house, some of the ceiling-beams are exposed. There is some 17th-century panelling on both floors.
Condition—Of house, fairly good; of S. wing, ruined and ivy-grown. (RCHME 1936)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:29

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact