The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 


Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Collin Field

In the civil parish of Kendal.
In the historic county of Westmorland.
Modern Authority of Cumbria.
1974 county of Cumbria.
Medieval County of Westmorland.

OS Map Grid Reference: SD51089140
Latitude 54.31580° Longitude -2.75341°

Collinfield has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are major building remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


Farmhouse. Possibly mid/late C16; certainly built by early C17. Extensively remodelled by George Sedgwick (Secretary to Anne, Countess of Pembroke) after he acquired it in 1668. Later additions and alterations. Wet-dashed rubble. Graduated slate roofs with gabled, jettied, dormer to east elevation; rendered cylindrical mid and end chimneys. 2 storeys. Gabled porch to west (courtyard) elevation has initialled and dated inscription on stone panel (relocated from above inner, studded, battened door): NUNC MEA MOX HUIUS SED POSTEA NESCIO CUJUS I. & M.G. 1663. 4-bay east elevation of 2 builds: Right-hand section has 2 casements to each floor with 2-light, wood-mullioned, fire window to left and 3-light, stone mullioned, cellar window; left-hand section (late C18) has part glazed door in semicircular-headed surround and canted bay to left, 2 casements and a dormer above. Interior very well preserved; for details see R.C.H.M. Westmorland (1936), p.124. (Listed Building Report)

Collinfield, house, 1,000 yards S.W. of the church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. The S. part of the house was built early in the 17th century; it was acquired in 1668 by George Sedgwick (Secretary of Anne Countess of Pembroke), who added the N. half of the building. The W. wing was extended in the 18th century. The house retains a late 17th-century stone window lighting the cellar and a second window of the same date with a solid wooden frame. There are several chimney-stacks with cylindrical shafts. The porch has a round-headed outer archway and above it a stone tablet inscribed "Nunc mea mox huius sed postea nescio cujus" with the date and initials 1663 I. and M.G. The battened door has a wooden lock with the initials A.P. (for Anne Countess of Pembroke). Inside the building, some of the ceiling-beams are exposed. The N. room has a panelled partition with an enriched frieze and there is similar panelling over the fireplace-recess; on the window reveals are two plaster fleurs-de-lis; the small cupboard (Plate 36), by the fireplace, has the initials and date G.S. 1674. In the adjoining office is a cupboard fixture (Plate 36), with turned balusters and carved frieze; it bears the initials and date G.S. 1675. The S. room has a modelled plaster panel over the fireplace with a foliage-border, two arches and various enrichments with the date 1674; a small cupboard has a panelled door. The kitchen has a plaster frieze with scrolls of fruit and foliage. On the first floor, at the top of the stairs is a 17th-century balustrade (Plate 57) of flat pierced balusters with a dog-gate of similar balusters. There are some panelled partitions and doors of the same date. The S. room has a plaster cornice and frieze with scrolled foliage and fruit; over the fireplace is a plaster panel with foliage and a shield bearing a scutcheon over a fesse. The room over the kitchen has a plaster panel over the fireplace with two arches and flowers. (RCHME 1936)

Fortified hall and courtyard. 'Three sides of a quadrangle, the fourth side being enclosed by a strong wall and gate, secured the inhabitants from attack.' Plan and photograph. (PastScape ref. Perriam and Robinson)

The courtyard wall is not particularly high or strong and the gate is a simple 'hole' in that wall. At the bottom end of what might be called 'fortified'.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:30

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact